Diesel oils - high detergent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I need to clean out the results of running castrol gtx 20/50 for 150k miles ( gummed up lifters) in a gas engine. Car is a Porsche requiring heavy oil
Not really a fan of dumping atf etc in the oil.
Does delo , valvoline or rotella have more detergents than conventional oils? Planning on oil & filt changes every 3000 until it hopefully clears up.

Last edited:
I do occasional summer runs of Rotella T5 10w30 or Delo LE 10w30 and 20% MMO to keep things clean. I would try a 3k OCI and see if that helps.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
GTX gummed up your lifters? It's high in detergents itself.

How did that happen?

Must have overextended the oil change interval or had a stuck thermostat.

Quote:
Planning on oil & filt changes every 3000 until it hopefully clears up.

I would run LCD's LC20 in with the oil until they clear up.

Originally Posted By: 928
Does delo , valvoline or rotella have more detergents than conventional oils? Planning on oil & filt changes every 3000 until it hopefully clears up.

Rotella T5 syn-blends and the T4 still have decent levels of calcium detergent.

http://rotella.shell.com/products.html

The Delo and Valvoline Ca levels are down quite a bit since the change over to CK-4 SN grade.

Ive had success with sticky lifter ,in my turbo diesel.I slowly added a QT. of diesel fuel to a hot idling engine.Let it idle or high idle for 15-30min.,then drain.I believe its good to do once in a while,in my old diesels.

KREEN will do it nicely
smile.gif
MMO may help... BG109 might do it ...

If it were me, I'd just run Valvoline Maxlife as shown above and monitor. But any oil off the Porsche A40 list will do. You just need to change chemistries to start the process
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
...If it were me, I'd just run Valvoline Maxlife as shown above and monitor.

Not sure what the big deal s about Maxlife? it just a semi-syn, as is the Rotella T5, and this VOA shows calcium levels are nothing to write home about for an HDEO.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4068904/Re:_VOA_Valvoline_Heavy_Duty_D

BTW pouring solvents such as diesel fuel in the crankcase is
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: slowrench
Ive had success with sticky lifter ,in my turbo diesel.I slowly added a QT. of diesel fuel to a hot idling engine.Let it idle or high idle for 15-30min.,then drain.I believe its good to do once in a while,in my old diesels.

This works well. Used to be a Mercedes factory approved method for oil issues. It’s not crazy; just effective.

M1 10w-40 HM and a drive the lenght of WA alos fixed noisy lifters in an SUV of mine several years ago.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Originally Posted By: slowrench

This works well. Used to be a Mercedes factory approved method for oil issues. It’s not crazy; just effective.

Approved for gas engines or diesel?

^ both. I have done it in Nissan trucks that are notorious for the drain holes in the heads getting stopped up. Chevrolet mechanics have used the same method.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back