New Ruger 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Al
I wonder if this one is actually reliable.

If not, don't sweat it. They'll have another one designed and ready to go in a week or so. I'm sure they've already got the boxes ready to go out for the recall.

I have a 20-year-old Ruger, 9mm ancient KP-950. It is heavy, shoots ok. Since then I carry only revolvers 38s. I know, I'm a cowboy...automatics are ok,, but they can jam, my revolvers do not jam-- old fashion me...

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
I have a 20-year-old Ruger, 9mm ancient KP-950. It is heavy, shoots ok. Since then I carry only revolvers 38s. I know, I'm a cowboy...automatics are ok,, but they can jam, my revolvers do not jam-- old fashion me...

typo there,,,its a KP95D

Cowboys don't carry .38's, just .44's
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigj_16

Cowboys don't carry .38's, just .44's
smile.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: billt460

If not, don't sweat it. They'll have another one designed and ready to go in a week or so. I'm sure they've already got the boxes ready to go out for the recall.

lol..we agree on something.
cheers3.gif

Just curious for my own info, which ones have had reliability issues?

Originally Posted By: Carbon12

Just curious for my own info, which ones have had reliability issues?

Really just the LC9s as far as I know. Really wrong of me to make that statement. Their LPC is reliability personified. I put several thousand through it with zero problem as far as I recall. The LPC is a great firearm.

Oh I have seen revolvers lock up. Smith and Wessons especially will have issues if the extractor rod backs out.

But yes, as long as the wheelgun is in time and nothing has shaken loose, they will go bang with great reliability. Recently The Lucky Gunner did a video about this topic because his newer GP100 Match Champion had the lockwork freeze up.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/revolver-stopped-revolving/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Recently The Lucky Gunner did a video about this topic because his newer GP100 Match Champion had the lockwork freeze up.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/revolver-stopped-revolving/

That is a good video that speaks the truth on the whole revolver vs. semi auto argument. Where I think he is especially correct in his analysis, is most of these revolver failures are with newer models in the first few hundred rounds. And I also agree with his reasoning that this is because they're not manufactured with the same level of expertise and care they were 30 or more years ago. In short, more junk gets out the door today. All part of the, "more / faster" manufacturing mantra.

For many years I was part of the, "Semi's will jam before a revolver breaks", crowd. But not any longer. The reason is while most modern semi's, (read Glock, S&W M&P, and CZ), have become far more reliable. Revolvers appear to have had the opposite happen to them. They simply break more often than they used to.

Most of my revolvers, with the exception of a few 10 shot .22 models, were purchased back in the 80's. Before all these internal locks started appearing. I've never had a single issue with ANY of them. But today I think the chances of mechanical issues are much greater with wheel guns. Especially the double action models. Too many parts put together by lesser skilled workers, that all contribute to a higher failure rate. To maintain the quality level that revolvers enjoyed 30 and 40 years ago, would make them too expensive to produce. One simply has to look at the current cost of a new Colt Single Action Army. Or a used Colt Python to prove that statement correct.

On the other hand, you can purchase many super reliable semi autos for under $500.00 today. Most all of which will operate reliably with minimum care and maintenance.

I had a 1970 DW lock up,

And I had a 1967 Colt Detective Special go out of time. These are isolated incidents. If you analyzed 1,000 revolver failures today at random, you would find most of them are with newer models. And most occur within the first 500 rounds.

I had a Smith 48 (.22 Mag, 8 3/8" barrel!), in the 1980's, that would lock it's cylinder up after about the 4th or 5th shot. Too much unburnt powder between the face of the cylinder and the forcing cone.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
I had a Smith 48 (.22 Mag, 8 3/8" barrel!), in the 1980's, that would lock it's cylinder up after about the 4th or 5th shot. Too much unburnt powder between the face of the cylinder and the forcing cone.

I have a Stainless Smith & Wesson Model 63 J-Frame in .22 L.R. that will bind if the cylinder face isn't kept clean. I usually have to spend several minutes after every shooting session with a Lead Away Wipe, rubbing the face of the cylinder, and the forcing cone until it's completely clean. I don't think it has anything to do with poor quality. It's just the nature of the beast. The smaller the flash gap, the more profound the problem. Lead bullets make it worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back