Gen 3 Or Gen 4? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have only owned 1 Glock in my lifetime, a Gen 4 G17.
But, I like reading about them all the time. One of these days, when I can save up enough money, I will buy a G32. But, should it be a Gen 3 or Gen 4?
I read about this every day. Some like the Gen 4, some like the Gen 3. The Gen 1 & 2 hardly ever get mentioned because they are not made anymore. But, if you were going to buy a new Glock today, would it be a Gen 3 or Gen 4. Why?
BTW, I didn't mention the Gen 5 because it's too new. But, you're welcome to throw it in there as a choice.

I currently have a total of 7 Glocks. All are Gen 3. My latest, a 17-L doesn't come in a Gen 4. At least it didn't when I bought mine. But if it did I still would have chosen a Gen 3. They are well proven, and I don't care for the feel of the aggressive texture of the Gen 4 models. Others like it. I also like the finger grooves. Others don't. As always it always comes down to personal preference. I think the different models are more for generating new sales than anything else in regards to actual "improvements". People like to have the latest and the greatest. And there is nothing wrong with that.

But the Gen 3 works for me, and at this point in time I feel 7 Glock pistols are more than enough to "do me". At least for now. If I add one more, it will most likely be a Gen 3, 34. It's the only barrel length I am missing in 9 MM. There is nothing that attracts me to the Gen 5 Glocks

So I've only owned Gen 4 models, so I'd obviously get the Gen 4.

My reasons, which may not matter (not even to me ultimately), are that they're likely to be more universal and have features of value. The value might be for me to shoot, my wife to shoot, or to resell if I choose to. The replaceable backstraps for large or small hands, and the reversible mag release for lefties add value in my opinion.

I've read that the dual recoil springs are suppose to help reduce felt recoil, but a lot of users don't notice a difference. Either way, that also adds percieved value to a Gen 4.

I do like and prefer the grip texture on the Gen 4s though.

If I had all Gen 3 models, I wouldn't go out and replace them with Gen 4s. On the same note, I have no plans to buy and Gen 5 replacements. However, from what I've read, the changes of the Gen 5s seem like a downgrade to me. (Is this how Gen 3 owners felt when the Gen 4s came out??) I don't mind the finger grooves.

I bought my GenII LEO-trade in G22 (.40S&W) in 2005 for only $250 (with 3 mags)

I sanded the grip to fit my hand, but I have never had a complaint with mine. It'll last me til 100,000 rounds I'm sure. I have never felt tempted to get a newer generation.

You will not be able to own a G5 G32 because none will ever be made. Glock removing the second pin in the locking block has ensured the G5 will always be a 9MM because it cannot handle the stress of more powerful calibers (Glock has stated themselves that the G5 will only be 9MM).

Between the G3 and G4, I would choose G4 (and have--all of mine are G4 except my G30s). Why? Because they come with one additional magazine, they have replaceable backstraps making it more customizable relating to grip sizes, and they have a larger magazine release which can be made ambidextrous (I do not think the G3 can do this). Last, but not least, Glock will at some point stop making the G3. With that said, I would not hesitate to scoop up a G3 if the price was right and I was in the market.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Man, billt460, that 17L is fantastic.

I'm very pleased with it. With the long sight radius and the adjustable sights it is a very accurate handgun. And it has the almost boring Glock reliability, and cycles and ejects everything it's fed.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
You will not be able to own a G5 G32 because none will ever be made. Glock removing the second pin in the locking block has ensured the G5 will always be a 9MM because it cannot handle the stress of more powerful calibers (Glock has stated themselves that the G5 will only be 9MM).

Between the G3 and G4, I would choose G4 (and have--all of mine are G4 except my G30s). Why? Because they come with one additional magazine, they have replaceable backstraps making it more customizable relating to grip sizes, and they have a larger magazine release which can be made ambidextrous (I do not think the G3 can do this). Last, but not least, Glock will at some point stop making the G3. With that said, I would not hesitate to scoop up a G3 if the price was right and I was in the market.

I didn't say I wanted a G32 in Gen 5. I couldn't decide between Gen 3 and Gen 4.

I am ALWAYS reading the forum GLOCK TALK. One of these days when I own a Glock I will join the site. Anyway, there are A LOT of Glock Armorer's and some that "SAY" they are associated with Glock. That "Glock Gen 3 will stop being made one day" rumor came up a week ago or so. I won't go into great detail, but the final synopsis was that Glock will NEVER stop making the Gen 3. I am only stating what was posted on GLOCK TALK.
27.gif

Between the G3 and G4, I would choose G4 (and have--all of mine are G4 except my G30s). Why? Because they come with one additional magazine,.....

Remember that you pay for the extra magazine the Gen 4 Models ship with. Compare the purchase price between the 2 models, and it's more than the $19.95 you can buy it for. This was / is just a sales gimmick by Glock to sell an additional magazine with every pistol. No one ever said Gaston wasn't both a creative, and very successful salesman.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Between the G3 and G4, I would choose G4 (and have--all of mine are G4 except my G30s). Why? Because they come with one additional magazine,.....
Remember that you pay for the extra magazine the Gen 4 Models ship with. Compare the purchase price between the 2 models, and it's more than the $19.95 you can buy it for. This was / is just a sales gimmick by Glock to sell an additional magazine with every pistol. No one ever said Gaston wasn't both a creative, and very successful salesman.
Perhaps, but most of my G4's were less than $480 out the door and even if they were more, the G4 fits me better than a G3 and there is a bit more than just an extra magazine between a G3 and G4 (at least for me).

Originally Posted By: billt460

Grab A Gun has a deal where you can press a statement that reads,"GRAB A GLOCK" When you do that the $539 Glock price will be lowered anywhere from $15-$50. I did that when I bought my son and mine Glock GEN 4 G17. They were $539, then were lowered to $487 each. When I sold mine I received $525 for it.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I didn't say I wanted a G32 in Gen 5. I couldn't decide between Gen 3 and Gen 4.
My mistake--you had been only discussing a G32 and/or .357SIG in the majority of your latest posts.

Anyway, there are A LOT of Glock Armorer's and some that "SAY" they are associated with Glock. That "Glock Gen 3 will stop being made one day" rumor came up a week ago or so. I won't go into great detail, but the final synopsis was that Glock will NEVER stop making the Gen 3. I am only stating what was posted on GLOCK TALK.
I take most anything posted on a Internet forum for what it is worth and the rumor that G3's would go out of production has been around a lot longer than a few weeks ago. One of the things that keeps holding a G3 in production is California's gun laws, because if memory serves only a G3 can be sold there. Still, I would not count on Glock keeping 3 generations of 9MM pistols and two full generations of everything else in production "forever".

My mistake--you had been only discussing a G32 and/or .357SIG in the majority of your latest posts.

Anyway, there are A LOT of Glock Armorer's and some that "SAY" they are associated with Glock. That "Glock Gen 3 will stop being made one day" rumor came up a week ago or so. I won't go into great detail, but the final synopsis was that Glock will NEVER stop making the Gen 3. I am only stating what was posted on GLOCK TALK.
I take most anything posted on a Internet forum for what it is worth and the rumor that G3's would go out of production has been around a lot longer than a few weeks ago. One of the things that keeps holding a G3 in production is California's gun laws, because if memory serves only a G3 can be sold there. Still, I would not count on Glock keeping 3 generations of 9MM pistols and two full generations of everything else in production "forever".

2015_PSD, I'm not arguing with you, nor denying your word. You have ALWAYS been straight up with me and I have unlimited amounts of respect for you!
What you stated about Glock and CA. was the discussion on Glock talk. And, that was the 1st time I had ever seen it and paid any attention to it.
https://youtu.be/bufTna0WArc

I have 3 Gen 3s, a 17 RTF2, OD Green 17, and a 22 RTF2. None of the Gen 4 or 5 guns are on our approved roster so that is all I can own here. Obviously I have been pleased with them.

20+ year in the business of law enforcement, last 11 as a Glock armorer.

If you have 3's then look for other 3's to add to your herd.
If you have 4's then look for other 4's to add to your herd.
Screaming deal on a 3 then buy it.

4's have a few things that make them desirable for certain shooters.
The grip circumference is actually smaller. It just feels a little smaller. If you find yourself hating the 3's because of the large grip then the 4 "might" be a better fit.

Stick with the same generation for best part cross over and changeability. Not all calibers cross over but most parts from the same generation of gun can be used throughout. (not all, be careful)

I'm a Glock fan but I admit there are many other guns out there that do the job if you can. Using/carrying a Glock isn't sexy but it just works and in the harshest conditions. Buy LE trade-in if you can find them. Great price and I bet most haven't seen over 1500 rounds. Replace a recoil spring and run it as long as you want.

Perhaps, but most of my G4's were less than $480 out the door and even if they were more, the G4 fits me better than a G3 and there is a bit more than just an extra magazine between a G3 and G4 (at least for me).

Grab A Gun has a deal where you can press a statement that reads,"GRAB A GLOCK" When you do that the $539 Glock price will be lowered anywhere from $15-$50. I did that when I bought my son and mine Glock GEN 4 G17. They were $539, then were lowered to $487 each. When I sold mine I received $525 for it.

Both of you are correct, in that there are firearm deals and sales galore out there today. I've never seen anything like this in over 45 years of enjoying the shooting sports. AR's and AR parts kits at all but give away prices most everywhere you look. Glock's and S&W M&P's are all much the same. Hi-Cap magazines are out there practically for the taking. If there ever was a time to "stock up" on anything and everything firearms related, this is it.

And I'm guessing after the holidays there will be even bigger and better deals, as these distributors look to unload warehouse's full of gun related products since the election did not go as predicted. Ending an 8 year panic on pretty much anything that goes bang.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back