*Subaru Warranty extension:High Oil Consumption*

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Subaru Warranty extension:High Oil Consumption*

Subaru Canada has extended the warranty for engines that experience excessive oil consumption to 8 years/160,000 km from the date the vehicle was put in service. Subaru vehicles equipped with either a 2L or 2.5L NON-TURBO engine are covered. (Models covered are listed in the column on the left of this entry)

2011-2015 Forester
2012-2015 Impreza
2013-2015 Crosstrek
2013-2014 Legacy and Outback

Automobile Protection Association | Recalls & Tech Tips - Template
Warranty extension:High Oil Consumption Subaru Canada has extended the warranty for engines that experience excessive oil consumption to 8 years/160,000 km from the date the vehicle was put…
APA.CA

Subaru Warranty extension: High Oil Consumption

My wife has a '13 Crosstrek, it takes 0W20 synthetic and has a 10,000 km OCI. Didn't notice oil consumption when we ran 5W-30 Castrol EDGE in it in the summer, but the low oil light came on after 5 or 6,000 km Pennzoil Ultra 0W-20. Dealer salesman says they consume the spec stuff (0W-20) and to put in 5W-30 instead.

I'm curious about this test. It's likely a dealer oil change with a seal on the oil filler cap and dip stick tube, since it has an electronic oil level sensor. Does anyone know what the Subaru dealer test procedure is?

What exactly is failing? It seems real vague, that link says to replace the engine block and parts, which is basically an engine swap to fix the oil consumption.. I can't believe thats the only way to fix it..

Originally Posted By: LaszloToth

I'm curious about this test. It's likely a dealer oil change with a seal on the oil filler cap and dip stick tube, since it has an electronic oil level sensor. Does anyone know what the Subaru dealer test procedure is?

The TSB says what the test involves.
"This test begins with a free oil and filter change and sealing the motor oil drain plug to measure oil consumption over the next few thousand kilometers. If oil consumption is determined to be excessive, Subaru will replace the engine block assembly or install upgraded piston rings."

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
What exactly is failing? It seems real vague, that link says to replace the engine block and parts, which is basically an engine swap to fix the oil consumption.. I can't believe thats the only way to fix it..

If Subaru could do it for cheaper, they would. Seems like the rings are allowing excessive oil by, and I suspect if that leaking has scored the cylinder bores, the block has to be changed out.

My guess would be weak oil control rings, allowing it to be burned in the cylinders. Blowby would be pretty obvious at the dipstick, oil fill, etc. Poor machining tolerances would also be a possibility.

Originally Posted By: Danno

If Subaru could do it for cheaper, they would. Seems like the rings are allowing excessive oil by, and I suspect if that leaking has scored the cylinder bores, the block has to be changed out.

I know with other Japanese Manufacturers I4's its the oil control return holes plugging that are the primary cause of oil consumption. A combination of oil with a "weak" flash point and a small, hot running aluminum block can overheat the oil, flashing to hardened carbon in the arteries of the piston. With nowhere to scrape oil off to, oil builds up in the cylinder the faster you go. Jamming up the rings with burned up oil. In that case going thicker only helps after the clogging has occurred. restricting flow with thicker oil. The fix is not rings. Its a piston removal to clear the holes with a drill, or replace pistons entirely.

I read everywhere Subaru owners go for the T6 5w40? Or is that strictly a turbo thing?

I read everywhere Subaru owners go for the T6 5w40? Or is that strictly a turbo thing?

That was mainly for the older EJ series engines.

These are the FB20 and FB25 engines.

I know with other Japanese Manufacturers I4's its the oil control return holes plugging that are the primary cause of oil consumption. A combination of oil with a "weak" flash point and a small, hot running aluminum block can overheat the oil, flashing to hardened carbon in the arteries of the piston. With nowhere to scrape oil off to, oil builds up in the cylinder the faster you go. Jamming up the rings with burned up oil. In that case going thicker only helps after the clogging has occurred. restricting flow with thicker oil. The fix is not rings. Its a piston removal to clear the holes with a drill, or replace pistons entirely.

It has to do with the low tension rings(for fuel economy) and burning oil. These engines are horizontally opposed 4 cylinders so you cant just slap in generic "knowledge" about Asian I4 engines and call it a day.

Its been widely documented that they have been through at least 3 different ring part numbers.. but often replacing the rings doesnt fix the issue so you get a new short block.

I had 3 different fb25 powered subarus.. all in the problem list.

Its an issue caused by the search for better MPG. It in no way shortens engine life.
The issue was also further caused by lengthened oil change intervals.

The oil burning accelerates as the oil ages in service.

Originally Posted By: LaszloToth

The procedure varies somewhat.. foresters from 2011-2013 did not have any kind of low oil level light. 2014+ have the Low engine oil level light.
Outbacks from 2013+ did (all fb25 outbacks)
unsure about crosstrek/impreza

Yes they change the oil and seal the system then instruct you to drive for about 1000miles or until the light comes on (depending on model and year)

they then measure the level. 1/3quart usage in 1000 miles is failing.

Many dealers will overfill the oil when changing it. for example on the 2013 outback oil burner they put almost 12 extra ounces in.

That car has seen new rings, a new shortblock, and the new shortblock is now consuming oil after 15000 miles...
Consumption in an oil change accelerates as you get more miles on the oil.

1qt in first 3000miles 2nd quart around 5000miles(2000miles) additional .5qt before the oil change.

Consumption is best in around town driving. Worst on extended high speed trips.. example: 80mph on Interstate route 80 in PA(hilly)

Good job Rand.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Rand

Many dealers will overfill the oil when changing it. for example on the 2013 outback oil burner they put almost 12 extra ounces in.

??????????

On a normal oil change... or for this test?

My experience pretty much mirrors Rand's. Good explanation.

I keep an eye on oil level. The low oil light comes on at about 5K miles after an oil change with in-town driving. If I'm crossing the continent, it will drink a quart in 3K miles. This is on a '13 Outback with about 86K otherwise trouble-free miles.

This will bring PTSD to my local Toyota/Subaru/Mazda joint service center

My parts guy hasn't been the same since the ZE7 2AZ-FE consumption deal

Good to hear Subaru's owning up to it, with a much looser criteria for the rebuild then Toyota

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Good to hear Subaru's owning up to it, with a much looser criteria for the rebuild then Toyota

The class action lawsuit may have persuaded them just a bit.

this is why I would not buy a subaru. i have looked, thankfully never got one. they do not manufacture enough vehicles for me to take the chance. less than 250k a year in the US I believe, burns oil, under powered, expensive. no thanks.

I have a 2018 Outback 3.6R V6 and it does not burn oil at all. It does use 5W30 synthetic though... I believe any ring issue was taken care of a few years ago or I would not have bought the 2018 for my wife.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I have a 2018 Outback 3.6R V6 and it does not burn oil at all. It does use 5W30 synthetic though... I believe any ring issue was taken care of a few years ago or I would not have bought the 2018 for my wife.

so a 2018 that does not burn oil, hope not. how many miles can you possibly have on it to say you don't have a burner, its brand new.

let us know in a few years or 50k miles how many quarts needed per oci.

what was done to fix the issue? my neighbors blew up, at 1.5 years old, its 3 years old now. entire engine gone, oil issue. it is a 4 cyl

Originally Posted By: PimTac
This is mainly aimed at older Subaru engines up to around 2015. After that the problems were solved.

Ditto...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back