Status
Not open for further replies.
Ontario to double gasoline’s ethanol content requirement [by 2020]
FRED LUM/THE GLOBE AND MAIL
SHAWN MCCARTHY
OTTAWA
UPDATED NOVEMBER 30, 2017

Folks,

This is a statement of intent to change the ONTARIO regulation to require more ethanol in gasoline fuel. It’s still a long way from becoming an industry requirement.

As you may know, the typical industry approach to satisfy the current 5% requirement is with 10% ethanol in Regular (E10), 0% ethanol in Premium (E0) and 5% in Midgrade (E5) since it’s blended 50%-50% from the others.

Refiners would likely have to make significant investments to upgrade their ‘pots and pans’ to make the new blend fuel to mix with a higher level of ethanol, but the fuel systems in most cars today are compatible with up to 15% of ethanol in gasoline fuel.

I thought you’d like to know.

I didn't see the original reply Uphill but I bet it had something to do with Premier Wynne
wink.gif

I can't say for Ontario for sure, but this province doesn't have much of an ethanol lobby, if any. Without getting political, it just seems that some regulators and legislators just latch onto something for the appearances of it.

so I dont see this 15% thing anywhere..

article says 10% in fuel

and current use is 7-8%? in regular grade.

Also almost all Car manufacturers are against anything over 10% ethanol in non flex-fuel vehicles.

Not that it matters but in November the CGSB (who sets the fuel standards for Canada) approved an updated version of their 3.511 standard to include blends of E0-E10 and E11-E15. They also approved a standard for mid level 20-25% ethanol blends for FFV's. The ethanol lobby guys had a lot to do with both of those changes.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Also almost all Car manufacturers are against anything over 10% ethanol in non flex-fuel vehicles.

Most cars from 2010 onwards can handle up to E15 - so says the OEM's in said CGSB committee.

Originally Posted By: BrianF
Classic Ontario!! More fuel to the fire as they circle the toilet.
Ya, can't flush the redcoats down the toilet soon enough. The damage inflicted here will take decades to repair or reverse.

Here in Quebec E10 is already mandatory and has been for years.

When I got my car, regular E0 was still available.

With E10, I noticed no damage from years of use but mileage per tank dropped.

[censored] fools. One thing for sure though. Canadians always have come to the US to buy their gas if they live anywhere near the border. I forsee a whole lot more coming now and rightfully so.

Think they got ethanol and booze mixed up. Seems like the Leafs might actually make the NHL playoffs so everyone is going on an alcohol kick of some sort. Someone needs to inform these clowns the higher ethanol damages farm equipment and has trouble starting in colder weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back