Are Marlins a good gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of getting a Marlin model 1864.

Accurate?

Reliable?

Can I mount a scope?

Recommendations? Looking for a more than 6 round capacity rifle that I can hunt with, and just have fun with at the range.

Before you buy, check with your state game-warden to see what is allowed for hunting. Some states limit the number of rounds a gun can hold, and some do not allow semi-automatic.

Some gun makers sell plugs that you can install into a gun to limit the number of rounds it can hold to make it legal to use for hunting.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Thinking of getting a Marlin model 1864.
Accurate?
Reliable?

New or used?

What caliber?

Originally Posted By: billt460
1864 or 1894?

I assume 1894? And I believe those are all lever action. What caliber are you looking for? a 357 magnum/38 special model would be fun and relatively cheap for hunting and at the range.

I like Marlins, and if I'm not mistaken they've quit using the micro-groove barrel in the last few years.

With that said, for a pistol-caliber lever gun I tend to steer people toward Rossi 92 models these days, and back that up with the fact that I have one myself. The 92 action is virtually indestructible, and while the Rossi isn't as smooth out of the box as a Winchester it responds well to a bit of cleaning up. It's inherent in the action that it will never be perfectly smooth(like a 73 or modern Henry) but it can be made better.

The Rossis also have cut rifling and shoot cast bullets well.

You also can't beat the price on them.

This is my Marlin 1894 in .44 Magnum I purchased new back in the 80's. I topped it off with a Leupold Vari-X II, 2-7 X, 40 MM in Leupold bases and rings. Mine doesn't have checkering, but the newer one's do. It's a nice accurate rifle. I have purchased 2 Marlin Model 60 .22's since the Cerberus / Freedom Group takeover. (A 50th Anniversary Model, and a Stainless Steel grey laminate stock model). And all 3 are beautifully made, accurate rifles that show good workmanship.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Older ones that don't have the micro grove rifling are. Forget shooting cast bullets in your newer Marlins.

Please, put this old recycled gun writer balderdash to bed.

Size your cast bullets properly, which for MicroGroove means several thousandths larger than Ballard, and it'll shoot great. That means around .431" for 44Mag or 444, .460" for 45 Gov't. Since that's a couple thousandths larger than usual, some Gun Writers, using the usual undersized, over-hard commercial cast bullets, had the expected bad results of using undersized, over-hard cast bullets.

As bunnspecial pointed out, MG rifling has been replaced with Ballard from some cartridges, like the 45/70 and the 444, but it remains for others.

Quality on newer Marlins has been hit and miss. Inspect very carefully before taking it home from the gun shop.

I have a new ish ( 6 or 7 years old ) 1895G Guide Gun in .45-70, and have no complaints with it. Compact, easy to carry, hits pretty hard.

I think Marlins are excellent guns. I think they were always better than the Winchester 94 but just didn't have the name.
I ve actually heard bad stuff about the Rossi but I can't comment because I never owned one. I have several Marlins and Winchester's and I ll take the Marlin over the Winchesters.

Cast bullets are fine with Micro Groove barrels . Cast & size the bullets at least .002" over groove size .

I shoot .460" home cast bullets just fine in mt Marlin .45-70 . .311" - .312" for .30-30 .

Merry Christmas

As mentioned, Marlins are a great design. However they current productions ones are not always a well executed form of that design. Make sure to check for proper wood to metal fitment. Most of all of them work, albeit they tend to have actions that are less smooth when new. They will wear in, but it take a bit of shooting generally.

I have my grandpas old turn of the century Marlin in 25-20 Winchester. When I can get ammo for it, it shoots as nice as any Winchester.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back