Run Flats and Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brand new BMW came with Pirelli P7 run flats and one immediately picked up a 1//2" tack. Dealer told me that run flats cannot be repaired and that they come with no road hazard protection program or warranty. Dealer wanted $330.00 for one new tire, installed. (Tire Rack wanted $200 for an official BMW P7).

I called BMW customer relations who asked why the dealer did not call Pirelli. I took it upon myself to call Pirelli who informed me that all their run flats carry a lifetime road hazard protection program. I then called several other BMW service departments and they were all surprised to learn about this program. BMW does not provide its customers with a written tire warranty, only a CD-ROM disk which cannot be read by the vehicles CD player.

After making a huge stink the dealer finally agreed to provide me with a new tire at no charge.

I can't imagine how may customers have been charged for tires covered by the hazard protection program.

Last edited:
FWIW getting Pirelli to actually cover the warranty is like pulling teeth. We have had them approve tires for replacement, and then deny coverage after we ship them in.

It was my understanding that the tires fitted on the vehicle at the factory have no tread life warranty and are only covered for manufacturing defects.
Pirelli might be different? Replacement tires often have a tread wear warranty and some brands have a better warranty such as some Continental tires.

Last edited:
Most OE tires don't come with any warranty, especially not a road hazard warranty.

Most people chuck the OE runflats and just get regular tires.

If you wish to stick with runflats, consider the Bridgestone Driveguard. They're supposed to be a huge step forward in runflat technology. But my choice would still be to get regular tires
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Most OE tires don't come with any warranty, especially not a road hazard warranty.

Most people chuck the OE runflats and just get regular tires.

If you wish to stick with runflats, consider the Bridgestone Driveguard. They're supposed to be a huge step forward in runflat technology. But my choice would still be to get regular tires
smile.gif

In my area, the policy of all the tire and auto repair places is "if you have runflats, we will ONLY mount replacement runflats, not regular tires". How do you get around that issue ?

In my area, the policy of all the tire and auto repair places is "if you have runflats, we will ONLY mount replacement runflats, not regular tires". How do you get around that issue? Easy, don't buy a car with runflats. Similar to the reason I never bought a Schwinn bicycle.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: rubberchicken
In my area, the policy of all the tire and auto repair places is "if you have runflats, we will ONLY mount replacement runflats, not regular tires". How do you get around that issue ?

The way around it is Walmart. They do not install runflat tires at all
smile.gif

But if you can only get to a tire shop that will install only runflats on cars that originally came with them, there's the DriveGuard.
Yelp reviews, google, and/or various BMW forums can probably point you to a place where you can get regular tires installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back