UOA 08 Corvette Z06 LS7 - After upgrading heads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All!

I recently upgrade the heads on my C6Z to get rid of the valve guide problem that plagues these cars on the OEM heads. I removed my OEM heads, sent them to American Heritage Performance in Cali. They cleaned them, put in new hardened powdered metal valve guides, new steel exhaust valves, new intake & exhaust valve springs. The heads were also ported and decked. Installed with new gaskets. I changed the oil after driving the car for 20 minutes, oil temp was about 160F which is normal operating temp for the car. The car brand new Airaid intake on it with an oiled filter. Oil filter was a ACDelco. Driving style is aggressive. I drive it pretty hard every time I get in it. Saw maybe 20 passes at a drag strip too. Below is the oil analysis of the oil change before putting it into storage. Refilled with Mobil 1 5w-30 EP and a Mobil 1 filter

Code:
Make/Model GM LS7 7.0L V8

Fuel Top Tier 93

Add. Corvette Z06

Oil used Mobil 1 5w-30 Universal Average

Miles on Oil 1,654 2,900

Miles on unit 49,486

Sample Date 11/23/2017

Aluminum 7 4

Chromium 2 1

Iron 39 32

Copper 2 5

Lead 3 7

Tin 1 1

Molybdenum 85 106

Nickel 1 1

Manganese 1 2

Silver 0 0

Titanium 11 2

Potassium 1 3

Boron 88 87

Silicon 6 10

Sodium 5 14

Calcium 941 1956

Magnesium 757 364

Phosphorus 705 790

Zinc 789 913

Barium 0 0

cST Visc @ 100C 10.71

Flashpoint 415F

Fuel
Antifreeze 0

Water 0

Insolubles 0.2

Code:
BlackStone Comments: Thanks for the notes. Depending on when you changed out the heads, valves, and springs & guides,

some of this may still be wear-in material. It usually takes at least a couple oil changes for most of that

material to wash out. Iron is high on a per-mile basis since averages are based on a longer oil change

interval of 2,900 miles. It shows wear at steel parts -- maybe the exhaust valves. Titanium is also up and

can come from connecting rods or intake valves. If this is related to wear-in, then there should be progress

next time. Use 1,500 miles again and check back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Refilled with Mobil 1 5w-30 EP and a Mobil 1 filter

As soon as I read that I thought, "uh oh, Iron is going to be up there." I was right.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The most important thing,,, forget the UOA how does the car run now ?

Ha! Runs strong. Sounds good. Rips off a consistent 11.9 @ 122mph on Runflats.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

As soon as I read that I thought, "uh oh, Iron is going to be up there." I was right.

I’ve been thinking about switch to Pennzoil Ultraa Platinum for my Accord and vette. What do you think?

I’ve been thinking about switch to Pennzoil Ultraa Platinum for my Accord and vette. What do you think?

I think that would be a good idea yes.

I think that would be a good idea yes.
Why would you think it would be a good idea Merk? Splain your self?

Seeing these higher than normal wear metals in many previous Mobil-1 UOA's back about 4-5 years ago was enough for me to switch to Pennzoil Platinum. I used nothing bu Mobil back then.
Surprising, as I recently just started frequenting the forum again, that these same typical UOA's still exist?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: irv

Seeing these higher than normal wear metals in many previous Mobil-1 UOA's back about 4-5 years ago was enough for me to switch to Pennzoil Platinum. I used nothing bu Mobil back then.
Surprising, as I recently just started frequenting the forum again, that these same typical UOA's still exist?

Mobil does a better job of scrubbing the engine and keeping it clean that is why the iron numbers are typically higher than the rest of the awesome oils out there.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back