Garage Door Openers

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old craftsman DO finally died and I'm looking for advice on a new unit. Chamberlin and Genie seem to be the logical choices. Does one seem to be better than the other or easier to use etc.
All opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Smoky

I have installed several of the Chamberlin garage door openers. No complaints here. You can get either a chain or belt driven unit from Chamberlin.

Craftsman are just rebadged Chamberlain anyway right?

Genie has always seemed more expensive and proprietary but I could be wrong.

Have you thought about going with one of the wall mounted screw drive types?

Wayne Dalton torque drive! No belts chains or pulleys. I've had mine for 15 years and it's quiet as a mouse.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Craftsman are just rebadged Chamberlain anyway right?

Genie has always seemed more expensive and proprietary but I could be wrong.

Have you thought about going with one of the wall mounted screw drive types?

I second that!! I am looking forward to the day our garage door opener dies! I'll definitely be replacing it with a jackshaft opener. It's a little more expensive, but quieter, and saves a ton of space, you know, for your future garage lift
smile.gif

When mine does, something like this is going in: https://www.liftmaster.com/for-homes/garage-door-openers/elite-series/model-8500

I was really happy with my Chamberlain belt drive. The belt is only important if the garage is attached to the house. Apparently getting extra power makes them last longer.

Last edited:
I had replaced my many decade old All-O-Matic unit with a Sommer Direct Drive 3/4HP unit a few years ago (Jan 2015). Stationary chain, DC motor glides on chain. Super quiet.

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
whats wrong with the opener? most of the time its just the plastic gear set inside . there is a kit to rebuild them for under $20 .

There sure is. Not the easiest thing in the world to install. I did it once for a friend and the job was successful. I'm not sure I want to do it again, though.

I had the faster Genies installed at the house my wife and I recently had built. They aren't available at brick & morters. Much faster than your typical door opener. Worth the money.

I've had a variety of issues with Genies. The screw drive carriage wore out on one. A circuit board died on another. I've had no issues with Liftmasters.

I replaced mine with a belt driven Genie and I'm very happy with it. I had to buy the kit for an 8' high door, no big deal. The installation was easy and getting it dialed in was no big deal either.

I bought and installed a chamberlain 1.25hp belt drive opener and have been happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back