the whole toilet paper filter thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

izz

there's no way this was actually ever a thing is there? it's just one of those internet meme things right? right?

It's very much a thing .. and has been around for a long time. They tend to get used mostly on diesel trucks, but they will work on just about any engine, if you have the room to mount one, etc..

Also, the standard filters for these are not actually toilet paper, but people figured out that it's far cheaper to find a decent roll of toilet paper and use that, instead of paying for the more expensive filter elements that are actually made specifically for the filter.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
It's very much a thing .. and has been around for a long time. They tend to get used mostly on diesel trucks, but they will work on just about any engine, if you have the room to mount one, etc..

Also, the standard filters for these are not actually toilet paper, but people figured out that it's far cheaper to find a decent roll of toilet paper and use that, instead of paying for the more expensive filter elements that are actually made specifically for the filter.

A thing? It's a huge thing, and has been a huge thing for a long time.

Not internet lore. It's backed up by a LOT of science from some very reputable sources.

How good are they? People have switched from toilet paper filters to centrifuges and gotten better used oil lab results from the toilet paper.

Toilet paper filters absorb moisture, remove contamination at a VERY fine level, and even remove soot from the oil, which is ridiculously difficult.

A fresh diesel oil change turns black from soot within seconds of starting the engine. I see diesel engines running TP filters that have perfectly clear oil from beginning to end of oil use.

Considering that you can by these "filter cartridges" for pennies, it's quite incredible.

There are numerous threads on this subject already, I suggest you search around and I bet you'll find everything you wish to know and more.

Don't feel bad izz. I asked the same question in exactly the same way.

And just like you, the BITOGers answered me with links etc.

Do remember, these are bypass filter applications where ~10% of the system's oil bypasses the factory filter.

There is a preferred type of toilet paper for these bypass filers. The super fluffy ones are not preferred.

I remember my grampa showing me a cotton oil filter/sock probably for one of the many Buicks he owned. It was for a canister, no metal spin on can. And I do remember him telling me in a pinch you could use TP instead of cotton. But I assume it was the olden days arse scraper TP, not the new California bio TP

Good example of a memeplex that has suffered a thousand deaths but continues to live on. People just seem to like the idea of a fifty cent roll of toilet paper taking the place of a five dollar filter.DENSO. Toilet paper need not apply.

Yeah, they were used in bypass filter applications, they can't filter at a 5 to 10 gallon per minute rate
like a spin-on filter. So you'd have to have 2 filters under the hood.

Under the hood space is at a real premium these days on any car after the 90's,
I would liked to have tried it on a 60's, 70's Mopar Slant
6 engine, lots of room for hoses and fittings!

There are two Frantz suppliers. One makes a synthetic 2 micron roll in addition to TP. Trasko makes a full flow spin on replacement. They use their own roll. A search will find them.
The reason a lot of new TP isn't suitable is most of it has been downsized. Not because it is Calif. Bio.

Some of those Chinese oil filters like Sub-Prime Guard feel like cheap toilet paper
27.gif

I had a 67 Chevy truck with a 307 in it. It had the canister type filter. I needed a cartridge so I used 2 rolls of toilet paper, cut down to fit the housing. Let's just say, it got me through a bad time.

I've been running Motorguards on three cars for many years. The newest is a 2011 BMW M57 diesel. It's only been in the fleet for 4 years, but I expect to drive it until the wheels fall off. The 440HP in my '70 Chrysler and a 2002 Sebring with the notorious 2.7 and almost 190k on it are the other two. It's about as wide a cross-section you can get for only three cars. All are high-miles specimens still running good as new. Can't really claim the Toilet paper had anything to do with it, tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back