self defense gun at home for my sister

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for suggestions for a gun to be kept at the house, for my sister: she is not comfortable around guns in general.
I am thinking semi-auto shotgun in .410 or 20 gauge. It needs to be something a petite woman can handle.
Suggestions or sources of info ?

If not comfortable around guns, the first step is training to see if she can become comfortable. If not, I am not sure a firearm is for her. Not attempting to discourage you, but a owning a gun is a massive responsibility and training is essential. With that said, a shotgun or any long gun for that matter, is going to be unwieldy in a house, especially one with halls. Any reason not to consider a handgun?

Well then, if she not comfortable around guns why you want to get her a gun? I hear this all the time, being a retired state trooper. Nothing beats a .22 auto pistol. Easy to swing on the bad guy and it just goes pop pop and he's down.

Originally Posted By: resist
Well then, if she not comfortable around guns why you want to get her a gun? I hear this all the time, being a retired state trooper. Nothing beats a .22 auto pistol. Easy to swing on the bad guy and it just goes pop pop and he's down.

This is great advice. If she is amenable to the idea the I would take her to a range just to try the .22. If she feels comfortable after that then a safety course would be my next suggestion.

Yes, she don't want to be afraid of the thing. Be sure and check state laws to be sure she can drop a bad guy. Some states you need to drag them in off the porch if they make it that far. Of course register the gun as appropriate in your locale.

Why mess around with a semi auto pistol? If simplicity is the key there several 22lr and 22mag revolvers to chose from. I love revolvers- dependable as an anvil, no safety to fool with. Fail to fire? Squeeze the trigger,she rolls to the next round and you’re back in business. Utterly simple.

Yeah we got shotguns here for home defense, but I sleep with a S&W .38 revolver under my pillow. If need be it’ll come out first; handy, reliable, deadly.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Pepper spray and other stuff. If she does not like guns, don't give her one. It'll just get taken away from her, or someone will get hurt ...

100% correct. Take a look at what's available in pepper spray guns. If she can't get comfortable with a gun (someone could get hurt?? - someone better get hurt, that's the point) it's worthless.

Don't do what my BIL did and buy her an LCP because it was cheap and little... made for women right? I told sis it was exactly the wrong pistol to learn with and she doesn't want to hurt his feelings. What?

Get her comfortable around guns. If she can’t get comfortable, abandon the idea. Semi auto handgun only if she can clear jambs and can handle the platform. In Most cases a revolver is best for a woman.

Originally Posted By: double vanos

Yeah we got shotguns here for home defense, but I sleep with a S&W .38 revolver under my pillow. If need be it’ll come out first; handy, reliable, deadly.

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
In Most cases a revolver is best for a woman.

Shewt! Seems you got you a girlie gun there pard.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
Get her comfortable around guns. If she can’t get comfortable, abandon the idea.

This. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The worst thing you can do is push a gun on a woman who doesn't like, want, or is able to accept them. The results will never be favorable. All you will receive is a bad attitude and resistance for your efforts. And if she doesn't want to accept the lethality of the tool she's carrying, the worst thing you can do is push or force it on her. There are already too many people who want to carry weapons, and shouldn't. The last thing people should be trying to do is promote it to people who don't want it.

You have to realize that some people are so passive that they would rather be stabbed to death than to pick up a gun and defend themselves. I’m not sure if that describes your sister but it’s something to be aware of. You have to realize that the person IS the weapon, and the gun is just a tool. People need skills, willingness, and ability to successfully defend themselves with a firearm. If she is not willing to get some training, or not even willing to actually shoot someone than the gun is a liability and can even be taken and used against her.

That being said, I’d take her to the gun range with a Ruger 10/22 rifle several times and let her blast through a couple bricks of .22LR. If she quits right there and doesn’t want to go any further, the 10/22 is a good home defense weapon for a person that won’t seek out any more training. Slap a 25 round mag in it and be done.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
You have to realize that some people are so passive that they would rather be stabbed to death than to pick up a gun and defend themselves. I’m not sure if that describes your sister but it’s something to be aware of. You have to realize that the person IS the weapon, and the gun is just a tool. People need skills, willingness, and ability to successfully defend themselves with a firearm. If she is not willing to get some training, or not even willing to actually shoot someone than the gun is a liability and can even be taken and used against her.

This. This is my wife to a "T". I can't change her and I no longer try. The best I could do is teach her gun safety. She knows where my firearm is and how to use it. The rest is up to her. I have done what I could.

Completely agree that you need to find out what she wants to do, not decide for her.

If she wants to learn to shoot, take her out and have her try a pistol (and revolver if you have or can borrow one), shotgun, and an AR15 or other lightweight .223 rifles. Ask questions about what she likes and doesn’t like and listen.

Handguns are handy but are the hardest thing to learn to shoot, plus they require more practice to maintain proficiency. Shotguns have more recoil and tube mags are hard to load. A .223 loaded with hollow points can be a good choice for many situations.

In the end she has to make the decision on what to do.

BSW

Not exact science … but I have a super six with both cylinders … found an old rotted down camp in the woods … shot a toilet bowl six times with LR = six grey stripes down the side.
One shot with the .22 mag … (in middle of stripes) = bowl split in two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back