iPhone getting slow? It might be the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomioka

$104 Site Donor 2024
And Apple is getting sued because of it:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/12/21/apple-lawsuit-slowing-down-old-iphone-models/

As battery performance degrades, Apple limits the CPU performance to reduce "spikes" in power consumption to prevent the device from crashing. Unfortunately Apple does not notify the owner of performance degradation and provide options but it will just force the owner to get a new device instead of getting a battery replacement.

Not that I care Apple is getting sued, but Lithium Ion batteries degrade over time and require more frequent charges and performance suffers doesn't it? Their software addresses it is their claim I think? I remember a few phones I owned, not Apple products requiring battery replacements after a couple of years because they wouldn't work properly or hold a charge for very long. Unless I'm missing something, and I could be common sense dictates batteries don't last forever. Making battery replacement a little easier in an Apple phone product would be nice though.

meh,
Tesla cut back on the rate of charge at their supercharge stations if you do enough of it...to protect the batteries.
Tesla installed software to restrict the number of insane launches you can do...to protect the batteries (later unprogrammed that).

All to make out of the package and test performance look great, and end users wear the actual, liveable performance later.

Hope the suit gets up, and extends to other Kult Kompanies.

I don't buy that excuse. I've had healthy new OEM batteries installed in my older iPhones and they were still slow. Furthermore, they are slow when plugged in.

Fact: Apple slows them down to force the purchase of new phones.

Fact: Apple slows them down because they want to, and there is nothing you can do about it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet

Fact: Apple slows them down because they want to, and there is nothing you can do about it.

Yes there is. Don't slavishly upgrade every OS release. Simple. If you keep the OS that was on the phone when you bought it, it keeps working just as it did *when* you bought it.

Think about what you are saying for a minute. Apple releases new OS updates. Often they are written and optimized for the next big thing in hardware they are about to, or just have released. You go and install that on your phone (which is now one or more generations behind the latest), and you then wonder why it's not as fast?

Heck, go and buy an Android phone. Then you won't have to worry about software updates (as the chances are you'll never get one anyway).

And all the iPhone zombies will be lined up waiting at 12:01 AM when Apple officially releases new phone to the public.

I have an iPhone from work and wouldn't spend more than $150 for it if I had to buy an iPhone.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C
Originally Posted By: Cujet

Yes there is. Don't slavishly upgrade every OS release. Simple. If you keep the OS that was on the phone when you bought it, it keeps working just as it did *when* you bought it.

Think about what you are saying for a minute. Apple releases new OS updates. Often they are written and optimized for the next big thing in hardware they are about to, or just have released. You go and install that on your phone (which is now one or more generations behind the latest), and you then wonder why it's not as fast?

Heck, go and buy an Android phone. Then you won't have to worry about software updates (as the chances are you'll never get one anyway).

I'm convinced the updates are purposefully meant to slow down older phones so you will be more inclined to buy a new one.

Thing I like about it iPhone having come over from android is ithat unlike the android smart phones I’ve seen iPhones are easy to crack open and replace the battery. Even use screws who would’ve thought in this day of gluing everything together. Batteries are cheap go as are screens. I just rebuilt my way My wife with a new screen and digitizer and battery for like 70 bucks. A little tricky to take apart due to the size of everything but not really complicated.

Originally Posted By: Driz
Thing I like about it iPhone having come over from android is ithat unlike the android smart phones I’ve seen iPhones are easy to crack open and replace the battery.

This is ironic and one reason I detest Apple. They started the permanent battery thing. I havenone the last andoid devices(LG V10) with a replaceable battery.

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
Will I lose anything if I get my iPhone 5S battery changed?

Absolutely not. Had the battery in my 5 replaced. Works like new after. Not that expensive to do. Went to Apple store, done in an hour.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
... but it will just force the owner to get a new device instead of getting a battery replacement.

And I HATE HATE HATE them for it....

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Making battery replacement a little easier in an Apple phone product would be nice though.

Nice, YES..... But I doubt it'll ever happen.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

I'm convinced the updates are purposefully meant to slow down older phones so you will be more inclined to buy a new one.

As are millions of others... me included.

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
Will I lose anything if I get my iPhone 5S battery changed?
Back up to Itunes then buy a $10 battery from ebay. 2 screws unplug old one and put it back together. I can do one in about 10 min.

Originally Posted By: Driz
Thing I like about it iPhone having come over from android is ithat unlike the android smart phones I’ve seen iPhones are easy to crack open and replace the battery.

21.gif
On my android s5 it takes longer to get it out of the otterbox case then it does replacing the battery.

Less then a minuet to replace the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back