75w90 vs 80

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always thought 75w90 was suitable where 80 weight gear oil was called for so I’ve been a bit confused as to why Amsoil doesn’t recommend severe gear for my 2011 Outlander V6 AWD on their product recommender. I finally decided to ask what was up, here is the response I got from tech support :
Both the differential and transfer case call for SAE80, GL-5 gear lube. At this time we do not offer a GL-5 that is as light as SAE80

I was under the impression that I’d take a minuscule mpg hit but that it’s otherwise suitable, am I missing something?

Last edited:
I told the configurator that my car is a 2010 and it says all of the gear fluids are good, which is weird, it’s the same car with the same fluid requirements.

Originally Posted By: JLawrence08648
I use 75w90 but because of the thickness and especially in the cold weather, I use only synthetic.

Yeah, I’m moving back to Winnipeg so the 75w is what interests me, I noticed the Outlander is very sluggish to start with the 80 weight when it’s below -30C

Originally Posted By: Kev994
I have always thought 75w90 was suitable where 80 weight gear oil was called for so I’ve been a bit confused as to why Amsoil ............

I'd similar thought as you.
75W90 would be fine, albeit with VII's.

Originally Posted By: Kev994
I have always thought 75w90 was suitable where 80 weight gear oil was called for ...

Same here, and is what I have in the rear of my bike (calls for SAE 80 Hypoid gear oil, am using some Supertech 75w-90).

Maybe since they have a lot more options the have different suggestions? It is harder to find a regular straight SAE 80.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Kev994 said:
Maybe since they have a lot more options the have different suggestions? It is harder to find a regular straight SAE 80.

I think that these fancy grades (75w85, 75w80,75w,...) are here just to save the fuel...like your CAFE thing with xW20 oily water
smile.gif

So unless you live far up on the north...you can use regular 75w90 and 80w90 grades for a better protection...

My Colorado rear diff calls for 75w90 but i recently put 80w90 in it. So far, can’t tell the difference. The coldest it’s been here in SoCal is bout 44 F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back