Anyone know anything about Springfield 1903s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was visiting a Pawn shop yesterday and a rifle caught my eye. It's a Springfield 1903. 6 digit serial number, tracked it and it was made in 1918.
It's a Sporter with a Monte Carlo solid stock. Black tipped beautiful wood grain with knots. The bluing is spectacular. You can see your reflection in it. I think the barrel was shortened because I thought it was Remington 600 magnum at first. Super smooth action and it looks polished with a cut bolt to go flush with the stock. It was sportarized but definitely professional. This was no gun shop convert. I am thinking it's a Grithen and Howes because it's so nice. It's a really pretty gun. I bought it for $350 out the door with haggling. The scope is missing but it was tapped and the front sight looks like it was professionally replaced because it's not a military sight.
Any idea how to tell if it's a Grithen and Howe rifle? It's probably one of the nicest rifles I ve ever seen and definitely not like any military rifles I've seen.
Action is unreal smooth.

Tell me more.
01.gif
thumbsup2.gif
banana2.gif

Please make sure you do not have a " low number " action. Due to wartime demands, some actions were given a single heat treat instead of a double heat treat. These rifles blew up a lot and are now considered wall hangers or display pieces. There is a lot of info on the net about how to identify your Springfield.

Sorry to be a downer. Hate to see anyone get hurt if I can help it.

If they pent that much time and effort to make it up as you say, it is NOT a defective receiver. If the price is right, go for it. Well done sporters on military actions are jewels if done well
smile.gif

Yeah, pictures would be nice. The price is fair for a well done one
smile.gif

And yeah, we have some o3A3's and the like in Pops collection. Fine shooters if the bore is decent. If the crown needs work, no biggie. If the barrel is a sewer pipe, maybe not the greatest shooter ...

But, from the sound of the description, it was lovingly cared for and someone spent some $$ to have it built, likely a fine barrel
smile.gif

OBTW - I think it's Griffin & Howe. If they built it, it'll be in their record books. Email them and ask...

Last edited:
If you have a six digit serial number, the odds are that it is a low number receiver. The actual number of failures is small, but it is a risk. I have one(5 digit serial, manufactured in 1904) and, out of an abundance of caution choose to not shoot it.

More Info

Originally Posted By: Oldtom
Please make sure you do not have a " low number " action. Due to wartime demands, some actions were given a single heat treat instead of a double heat treat. These rifles blew up a lot and are now considered wall hangers or display pieces. There is a lot of info on the net about how to identify your Springfield.

Sorry to be a downer. Hate to see anyone get hurt if I can help it.

Good advice. I was going to say the same thing.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
I think my dad said he trained with an 03 in ww2 until they had enough M1 rifles to issue. He was a Navy Seabee. He loved his M1 carbine.
My dad was said the same thing and he loved the Carbine .He bought on years ago I have it.

I have a unissued Saginaw made in 1945 M1 Carbine. They are Great guns. Seem to be a big secret that they aren't more popular. Great light nice shooting gun. I like it better than the AK or AR and certainly better than a SKS but they just aren't popular in the civilian market.

Sure they are, but 30 odd million civilians in Cali can't get one easily ...

But what does the M1 carbine have to do with the OP's question ...

And as far as the receiver being low serial or improperly heat treated, you can have it hardness tested. Any decent machine shop can do that on the bottom of the receiver where it will not show.

And do an exam for cracks. None found, and hard enough, is good enough. Most of the vulnerable ones have already died. I would not sweat it. The problems were well known back in the day. The gunsmith who built it would have known. Prolly did his own hardness testing and it came up good, so they proceeded
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oldtom

It wasn't "wartime demands". It was just the technology of the time.

He said it was a 1918. Pyrometers were used as of December 1917. So he should be OK.

And not every early Springfield is over-hardened and brittle. It's just that it MIGHT be. Most weren't. If you're curious, whack it with a hammer on the bottom of the receiver ring. If it doesn't crack and shows small marks, you're good.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I was visiting a Pawn shop yesterday and a rifle caught my eye. It's a Springfield 1903. 6 digit serial number, tracked it and it was made in 1918.
It's a Sporter with a Monte Carlo solid stock. Black tipped beautiful wood grain with knots. The bluing is spectacular. You can see your reflection in it. I think the barrel was shortened because I thought it was Remington 600 magnum at first. Super smooth action and it looks polished with a cut bolt to go flush with the stock. It was sportarized but definitely professional. This was no gun shop convert. I am thinking it's a Grithen and Howes because it's so nice. It's a really pretty gun. I bought it for $350 out the door with haggling. The scope is missing but it was tapped and the front sight looks like it was professionally replaced because it's not a military sight.
Any idea how to tell if it's a Grithen and Howe rifle? It's probably one of the nicest rifles I ve ever seen and definitely not like any military rifles I've seen.

If it has a Monte Carlo, it's unlikely to be a Griffin & Howe. Just call them. They have records.

http://griffinhowe.com/

Used to see quite a few of the 03s in New Mexico forests in the fifties. And a Krag .30-.40 occasionally. I remember the Krags had very smooth actions but that box on the side took a little getting used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back