Is this oil any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this at the Dollar Tree. I would like an honest opinion. I don't want people saying that they "feel" it isn't good. Emotions should be set aside.

Thanks.

I dont see a reason why it wouldn't be good. I dont know to be honest. However.. it comes across as.. can I get name brand for similar prices? Do you plan on running this oil? I am sure the board would appreciate to see a UOA on it after an interval, unless one is already posted

Originally Posted By: stchman
I was thinking of using this oil in my lawnmowers.

I would probably use some of the used Amsoil you're running in the Silverado instead.

Without testing, there is no way to know. PQIA has tested off brand oils , some have been good, some not so good. No way to know looking at the bottle. Is it really gf-5? Or are they just good labels.

Last edited:
Probably made by Warren oil as they do a lot of private labeling of oil. I have used MAG 1 which is by warren.A small grocery near me sells Zecol motor oil which is always about $2.77 per quart and has the starburst symbol I live close to a TSC so use it mostly, but used to use NAPA oil because we were 3 blocks from a NAPA store. Any oil with the "starburst" is going to be fine. I have never used synthetic and have had several vehicles go well over 300K using plain conventional oil. Never use high mileage oil either. Nothing wrong with that oil. But since it comes in a 16 oz container it may not be that great of value. Most dollar store products are fine but are downsized a great deal. It is pretty hard to go wrong wwith selecting an oil nowdays. Find the right weight for the vehicle,make sure the oil has the "starburst" buy the oil and pour the stuff in and forget about it till it is time to change it. Some people sleep better by using name brand oil or synthetic or changing oil every 3K and so be it more power to them. It is all personal preference nothing more.

Note that it's a pint container, not a quart. That might be convenient for a top-up, but really annoying for an oil change.

What does "made in USA" on the label really mean? Sounds like maybe they got a boatload of base from china and fiddled with it here in the US. Either way it does have API specs to check on. Is that an ok comment? I mean I don't want the bitog goons calling me names for simply making an observation. I am not telling you need special oil for your lawnmower or anything.

I wouldn't use it. I'd just go to Walmart and get some Super Tech if you want cheap oil. It's cheap and known good quality.

If you really want to know if it's any good, the only way to truly know is to buy a bottle and send it in for a VOA.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Without testing, there is no way to know. PQIA has tested off brand oils , some have been good, some not so good. No way to know looking at the bottle. Is it really gf-5? Or are they just good labels.

Dollar stores have been the dumping ground on disqualified off label oil in the past, I'd not chance it.

I bet that on the back label it says who distributes the oil. Then we would know something. Got a pic of the other label stchman?

I should have looked for this before I made my comment above. Turns out that this oil is listed on API's website so it *should* be suitable to use.

https://engineoil.api.org/Directory/EolcsResultsDetail?companyId=11317

On the other hand, PQIA issued an alert for their ATF because it doesn't meet the specs for Mercon or Dexron III.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/ATF MAY2013/SMBATF.htm

That tells me this is probably a company with poor quality control. The stuff you buy off the shelf could very well not meet the API specs even though it's technically "certified".

Says its SN so I wouldn't use it, since SJ is still readily available here. They MIGHT be lying, but you can't rely on that.

Last edited:
I used it in a home brew to free a seized up engine. The rest I blended with some regular oil and topped off an engine. Can't say much about it. For some reason it's always sold out in store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back