Help me find out what this is called?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I am trying to obtain a part for my side entry door. Currently, where the door handle latch clicks into the framing is fine, and then I have the deadbolt lock above it that when locked the deadbolt goes into the hole in the framing. Currently the framing is very thin and cracked, I have since fixed this, and the problem is that there is no solid wood to use long 3 inch screws to screw the latch into.. so im going to screw a stronger piece of wood into the framing to reinforce it so it cant get kicked in. ( I apologize, I believe I am not explaining this too well/ hard to explain) Essentially the deadbolt when locked exceeds the length of the framing, and therefore.. cold air is entering my house... despite the fibreglass insulation thats stuffed in there. I am trying to find the name of the following piece... the black piece in this link that is in the middle.. I cant seem to find out what its called and therefore making it hard to obtain. I have checked our large chain renovation stores but they do not seem to carry this piece... Please let me know if you can name the piece for me.. Thank you in advance!

I only am looking for the middle black piece that is shown in the middle of the other 2 parts here...
https://www.amazon.com/CRL-Deadlatch-Str...atch+Strike+Set

Also, the stud is not directly behind where the deadbolt strike set is attached.. more on an angle, so i guess not much way to reinforce it besides adding another piece of stronger wood to the framing and use longer screws?

Last edited:
I am seeing the wording "Strike box plate" but this doesnt always refer to the enclosed piece that accepts the deadbolt...

I think that is what they call the dustbox. It’s usually plastic. It doesn’t add any strength to the hole.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I think that is what they call the dustbox. It’s usually plastic. It doesn’t add any strength to the hole.

Yeah, sounds right.. I am just looking for that piece to prevent cold air from entering in via the deadbolt, which I think this dustbox would help with... piece doesnt seem too common... I guess I find it odd that this wouldnt be used more.. normal to just have fibreglass batt pieces shoved in there, that the deadbolt would pretty much press against when door gets locked.

Last edited:
What if you use some expanding foam in the cavity and then cut away the excess so the deadbolt clears? You won't get any air penetration this way.

Google "armored security strike plate" if you just want an enclosed deadbolt cavity.
first-watch-security-strike-plates-1005-64_300.jpg

If you want your deadbolt to be kick proof, you will have to install something stronger than just going into your door casing. There are many different systems out there to achieve this. Examples are StrikeMaster II Pro, Door Armor, and EZ Armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back