Pics of the old LC Smith 12 ga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bigj_16
How old?

I sent all the info off last week to the LC Smith owners forum and they haven't gotten back to me yet. They will be able to tell me the date of mfg and who it was shipped to and possibly the name of the original buyer. It most likely will be somewhere between 1913 and 1950. LC Smith finally went out of business in 1950 after being saved from bankruptcy several times.

At least it has more weight to it than a single barrel single shot. A single barrel single shot kicks like a mule because the gun is too light to absorb the recoil.

PimTac, Thanks for the link. Going by the chart in the link, and the serial number on my gun, it was built in 1930. It’s the base field grade, what all the L.C. Smiths started as, with no engraving, embellishments, or options. The inside of the barrels look like mirrors when held up to a light and it’s tight as new. I have shot one low brass 7 1/2 shot shell through each barrel and it does shoot sweet. Kinda sad but it’s going to be a wall hanger over the fireplace. I’ll post some more info on her when I get the research certificate back from the L.C. Smith owners group in a week or two.

If you are going to hang it, look at BoeShield T09. A very fine lubricant and water repellent designed for landing ear in the frozen north. It stay put for long durations
smile.gif

I'm considering lightly cleaning the wood just enough to get the dirt and grime off, but I'm hesitant, afraid I might not get it cleaned evenly and it might look bad. The checkering looks to be somewhat dark as opposed to the rest of the surrounding wood. Has anyone lightly cleaned gun wood with good results? Or should I just leave it alone?

I received the manufacturers certificate for my old L.C. Smith shotgun yesterday. According to the L.C. Smith owners club my gun was started on November 10, 1929, proofed and patterned on February 7, 1930 and finished on February 21, 1930. It remained in stock for 15 months before being shipped on May 21, 1931 to Ralph R. Foster (no address provided) to complete order No 33487. Most L.C. Smith Shotguns were shipped to hardware stores or sporting goods stores and it is uncommon to see one shipped to an individual. No other information is available for this serial number. It goes on to explain production figures for the field grade model and the retail price of $39.89 when it was shipped in 1931. My wife has a couple of cousins named Foster, so I might ask them at the next family reunion if any have ever heard of old Ralph!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back