Brake Fluid question

Status
Not open for further replies.

How often should brake fluid be changed/flushed? My wife has a 2015 Venza with 9K and we just received a card from Toyota saying it needs a brake flush.

Honda says 3 years, then every 2 years after that. BMW says every 2 years.

Mileage really does not matter, it is the fluid absorbing water from the air that matters.

Last edited:
My 2012 Camry with 25K has never had its fluid changed and since owning it new I have never received and similar notice. Both cars bought from the same dealer.

This is always done whenever brakes are replaced, right? I don't recall asking for this to be done with either of my cars, but I do get the brakes replaced every 2-3 years or so...

When I owned two Toyotas in the 1990's, the owner's manual had brake fluid flush as part of the 30/60/90K service. That is when I did it, since that was also at the two year mark, or so.

I would check my owner's manual and maintenance schedule and see what Toyota says today.

Every 2 years for most climates, dry places like the middle east or desert climates can go longer. Good preventive maintenance and properly recommended given your location (high humidity).

Originally Posted By: paulri
This is always done whenever brakes are replaced, right? I don't recall asking for this to be done with either of my cars, but I do get the brakes replaced every 2-3 years or so...

No you can't necessarily assume they'll do that unless stated. Also some techs will just bleed out what's in the caliper as they push the piston in but some don't even do that. It's also unusual to need rear brakes done as often as front and if not doing both wheels, I wouldn't expect them to bleed all 4 (again, unless stated).

Thanks for clarifying that. I'll look at my receipts (if I kept the ones for brakes) and talk to my mechanic to see what he does.

Originally Posted By: Dave9
Originally Posted By: paulri

No you can't necessarily assume they'll do that unless stated. Also some techs will just bleed out what's in the caliper as they push the piston in but some don't even do that. It's also unusual to need rear brakes done as often as front and if not doing both wheels, I wouldn't expect them to bleed all 4 (again, unless stated).

There are two kinds of answers to this question, well three.

1. Corporate butt-covering and dealership service dept profit from getting customers in for services.

2. People who drive like they stole it, do heavy towing down hills, or just repeat what they read somewhere. They should change it every two years or even more often in severe service.

3. People who realize that brake fluid does not absorb much moisture over several years. That it "can" absorb moisture, and that a minuscule amount can seep through rubber, doesn't mean it's enough to make much difference. These people can wait 5 years or longer.

I have owned my share of vehicles. I have never changed the fluid in less than 10 years (with exception if a wheel cylinder or caliper failed which has been rare on vehicles newer than ~'90s model years) and never had a single problem resulting from it. I do get brake line rust out at around the 20 year mark but this is from the outside of the line, due to salted winter roads.

If you do have a severe duty application and notice undue brake fade, definitely get that checked out and that may be a sign it's time for a fluid change or more. If you notice your fluid getting dark that is the rubber and not a sign you should just replace fluid, rather a sign you should replace rubber if you feel it's excessive.

On the other hand brake fluid is cheap (if you DIY) and a side benefit of doing bleeding more often is that if you are in an area where rust is common, getting the bleed nuts loose every now and then decreases the chances they'll be seized in and break the next time you try to remove them. One thing I would not do is let some kid at a Jiffy Lube do it. You'd be better off not getting it done at all rather than risking a (possibly) incompetent person working on your brake system.

Last edited:
Most people never change it, and most cars arrive at the junkyard on the original factory fill brake fluid

I replace my brake fluid whenever I replace the pads and rotors
smile.gif

I owned my 89 Honda Accord for 23 years. I followed the maintenance schedule religiously, changing the brake fluid every 30,000 miles. After 353,000 miles I was on the fourth master cylinder. I never had to replace anything else, aside from pads and shoes, but I often wondered if changing the brake fluid like that contributed to master cylinder failures. They used to fail around every 100,000 miles.

I change mine every 30,000 miles. You'd be surprised how dark it looks. I only use synthetic brake fluid because I feel it's less hygroscopic.

Originally Posted By: Dave9
There are two kinds of answers to this question, well three.

Well, four

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JLawrence08648
I change mine every 30,000 miles. You'd be surprised how dark it looks. I only use synthetic brake fluid because I feel it's less hygroscopic.

Which ones are synthetic?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: JLawrence08648

Better yet, which ones are "conventional" brake fluids?

For the advertising victims out there (quite a few, I'd think) the answer is "All of them" to both questions.

Except that Citroen stuff, which I think is unconventional mineral oil.

C'est typiquement Francais, n'est ce pas?

Ive done a brake fluid flush once
smile.gif
Will do one every 4-5 years. Ive seen no reason to do so more often unless you do it yourself. 2015 Venza with 9k miles? Thats it? Worry about it in 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back