This Coolant Is Safe for my engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SirTanon
No.. your engine uses conventional green coolant, and that Prestone stuff you've linked is the Dex-Cool stuff.

what is the problem with dex-cool?

Originally Posted By: Dymblos
No.. your engine uses conventional green coolant, and that Prestone stuff you've linked is the Dex-Cool stuff.

There is this chemical called 2EHA that is used in certain formulas, but it's also often falsely attributed to as a plasticizer when it's infact a PRECURSOR to a chemical used to make plasticizer.

So that is making everyone have flashbacks about the early Dex-Cool and how it melted gaskets.

Only problem with this OAT extended life stuff is that it can get very acidic when it is overdue for a changeout. That's why I said to change it out before it goes bad, and then it is no problem whatsoever. Same reason it ate gaskets when dex cool came out, because it wore out. Left in too long or allowed to dry up in "expansion" tank.

Actual "original" green stuff is pretty hard to find in the US any more. Green is not a formulation. OAT comes in green but it is not original formula

The manual say (1990 manual..) the coolant liquid had a base of ethylene glycol to protect the aluminum engine also some Antifreeze and Anticorrosive ingredient
Then say.. do not use any coolant fluid with base of Alcohol or methanol

there is no more info in the manual about this -_-

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

There is this chemical called 2EHA that is used in certain formulas, but it's also often falsely attributed to as a plasticizer when it's infact a PRECURSOR to a chemical used to make plasticizer.

So that is making everyone have flashbacks about the early Dex-Cool and how it melted gaskets.

I don't know if using the word "plasticizer" is a sematic difference or not. I've often read that 2eha is a known plasticizer. Even if it isn't a "plasticizer", this is what an sae article linked says about it. [URL]http://articles.sae.org/11284/[/URL] There are other similar descriptions of 2eha that have been in Motor Magazine articles on AF types.

"Neither Chrysler nor Fiat has released the complete composition formula for their antifreezes. They reportedly are cocktails of three organic acids, featuring sebacate, but no 2-ethylhexanoate (2-EHA). The latter is a cost-effective but controversial additive that softens plastics, particularly silicone, leading to leaks from affected sealing materials, which means that silicone cannot be used in gaskets, O-rings, and hoses if the antifreeze contains 2-EHA."
So "plasticizer" or not, 2eha apparently doesn't play well with some plastics/silicone materials.

As for OP's question, the link looks like Prestone DexCool. 'Could' be fine in 1990 Mazda. Otoh, it might not ply well with the gaskets orings etc. I don't know what other AF options are available in Chile. I'd even go with the latest Prestone Universal AF before DexCool because best information says it uses a lower concentration of 2eha in the formula.

Not a DexCool hater. I'd have no problem using it now, especially in newer vehicles with the DexCool AF spec.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Originally Posted By: Reddy45

I don't know if using the word "plasticizer" is a sematic difference or not. I've often read that 2eha is a known plasticizer. Even if it isn't a "plasticizer", this is what an sae article linked says about it. [URL]http://articles.sae.org/11284/[/URL] There are other similar descriptions of 2eha that have been in Motor Magazine articles on AF types.

"Neither Chrysler nor Fiat has released the complete composition formula for their antifreezes. They reportedly are cocktails of three organic acids, featuring sebacate, but no 2-ethylhexanoate (2-EHA). The latter is a cost-effective but controversial additive that softens plastics, particularly silicone, leading to leaks from affected sealing materials, which means that silicone cannot be used in gaskets, O-rings, and hoses if the antifreeze contains 2-EHA."
So "plasticizer" or not, 2eha apparently doesn't play well with some plastics/silicone materials.

As for OP's question, the link looks like Prestone DexCool. 'Could' be fine in 1990 Mazda. Otoh, it might not ply well with the gaskets orings etc. I don't know what other AF options are available in Chile. I'd even go with the latest Prestone Universal AF before DexCool because best information says it uses a lower concentration of 2eha in the formula.

Not a DexCool hater. I'd have no problem using it now, especially in newer vehicles with the DexCool AF spec.

I'm just not satisfied with the notion that 2EHA is this terrible thing that caused the Dex-Cool issues for GM in the 90s and that the chemical is still in use today in major brand antifreezes.

It either was bad and should have been taken off the market or it wasn't to blame and is still in use today because it's harmless.

But I am not a chemist and don't know where to look in the chemical makeup to see if it can deteriorate gaskets.

...With all that. do you think there be problems? with the gaskets orings etc

With the link to the sae paper and the italicized quote about 2eha, you've got as much information as 'I know' to make the call.

As I said, 'could' work just fine in your application, ie., never cause an issue with the cooling system parts noted. Otoh.....????? So it's your call here and what you're comfortable with.

As for the pdf links to the Prestone products MSDS, the first one for the standard universal Prestone is dated 2006. The newest product with advertised CorGuard is only a couple/few years old. While still using 2eha thinking the concentration in newer formula lower yet again than older all makes/models product. MSDS sheets not really intended exact listing of make up and concentration.

That said not promoting either AF, more looking lesser chance of any potential issues with items mentioned. Here in the States with many other AF options, neither would be my first choice for the topic vehicle.

Here un my Country se have some other generic Coolant.. red and Green
Also Freeztone 50/50, havoline convencional 50/50, prestone dexcool 50/50, prestone extended life 50/50 and concéntrate (all prestone with cor-guard)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back