Fram air filter after 61,000 km in service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
In another thread on here I mistakenly posted that I had about 100,000 km on the air filter in my Civic, but further investigation showed I actually had 61,000. Because I had already bought a new Fram air filter though, I decided to replace the one in the car. It was in there for 4 1/2 years and sees lots of road salt in the winter time so I really was surprised to see how clean it looked! Based on this, I feel like I can easily go 100,000 km between changes on this car under my driving conditions (and I probably won't even have the car that long) I did not knock any dirt out of this filter before taking this picture, this is exactly how it came out of the airbox:

Mileage has little to do with the condition of an air filter. It's all about operating conditions encountered.

I wonder if the filter is catching the dirt or letting it go through into your oil pan? But I would expect Canadian air quality to be cleaner than mine. My air filters can barely go 15K where I live. Of course, that is based solely on my interpretation of what constitutes a dirty filter.

Just for fun, I'd try another brand to see how it did over the same mileage.

Oakville is - in general - a pretty nice place with some uber expensive mansions along Lake Ontario, enjoys some of the richest demographics of all Ontario. They have better quality dirt, and less of it :eek:)

Smell that filter, might have that distinctive fragrance of Grey Poupon ?

Originally Posted By: Gebo
I wonder if the filter is catching the dirt or letting it go through into your oil pan?

Airbox was clean and my silicon levels in my UOAs have also shown low numbers.

I know I could have reused it but since I already bought the new one and I hate opening the airbox too often, I put the new one in. I will probably never replace it again as I doubt I'll put another 100,000 km on this car.

I have gone 150,000kms (~94,000mi) on a filter...and it looked just slightly more dirty than that each time. I would go longer but I was worried about the ability of the filter to seal and age of the media against the air elements being 4+ years old.

I am on my 3rd filter since car purchase in 2008....good clean Canadian air indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back