Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone. What's everyone opinion on running a OCI of 15,000 miles (severe duty) with a GM 5.3 on Amsoil SS 5W-30 ? Who has experience with product with long OCI's? Thank you in advance and happy holidays everyone to you and your family.

I'd get a UOA. I wouldn't run it, or any other oil for that matter that long under severe service conditions relying solely on blind faith.

Considering my father-in-law has been running about a 15K OCI (part of which qualifies as "severe") in his '03 1500HD (6.0) for the last 2 years/70,000 mi. - on syn blend Maxlife - I'm gonna say if you rack up the 15K in less than a year and your driving regimen is anything more than that of a taxi, it shouldn't be a problem.

FWIW, his truck now has somewhere over 275K on it and runs very well. I've been in the passenger seat when he put the accelerator to the floor in low range on his gravel drive, with my 3-ton camper behind us, and I'm still in disbelief that it didn't break something.

I am sure the Ams 5-30 will handle 15K for the average driver in the 5.3 with no problems. UOA not was never done. I have a friend that did 15-25K with reg M1 in his 1999 Silverado 5.3. Sold it when the 3rd trans failed. Another friend did 15-17K in his Dodge van with 190K. Sold it for a car. No reason for UOAs. What do you consider severe duty?

Last edited:
I let it idle in the morning maybe a little too much and my trip to work is about 20 min. Mostly stop and go with about a 5 mile highway cruise in the middle . I was going on the conservative side of the duty cycle of Amsoil 25,000 OCI for Signature series. I could never go that many miles. 15K would be a stretch.

How often does the engine see more than 3,500 RPM or continued (more than 1/2 mile) use at more than 70% load? If the answer is "not often", your described driving schedule may fall close to the description of "severe" use in the manual, but you aren't pushing the capabilities of the LS.

Amsoil will do the job. Most buy Amsoil because they beleive all the hype except that it lasts longer in service. Does your engine fuel dilute the oil? That maybe the only caution point.

What 5.3 are we talking about? The older 5.3s were bulletproof. The newer 5.3s with AFM are a bit problematic and are an entirely different beast.

A 2013 with AFM and potential lifter issues will not be a good candidate for extended drains.

Originally Posted By: Ian1982
I baby this thing. Hardly sees 3500 rpm lol

You don’t have to redline it but you should wind that thing up now and then. It’s actually healthy.

Originally Posted By: Ian1982
So do u recommend changing oil before the OLM says so with a solid product?

This is just my 2 cents but I would have no fear in running the OLM out with Ams Signature Series. GM's OLM is more that just an "idiot light" - as opposed to earlier OLMs on other manufacturers and possible current OLMs on from other manufacturers. The system doesn't "sample" your oil, but it does take into account engine cycles, drive patterns, environmental factors, etc. Here is a short article on how GMs OLM works:

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/und...brent-minderler

Here's a thread on this forum that explains it a little more:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=130050

At any rate, I run Amsoil XL series in my 2007 Yukon and follow the OLM with confidence. I do mostly short trips in the winter, highway trips in the summer, but usually put less than 10,000 a year on the vehicle. One thing to note, is to always reset the OLM each time the oil and filter is changed. If the oil is changed without the OLM being reset within 500 or so miles (repeating my owners manual from memory) the manual recommends it be reverted to a 3k mile interval, no doubt to cover GM from liability.

That’s what I do with my ‘17 5.3. But I have no actual proof that this is helpful. I do strongly believe keeping clean, quality oil is the key to AFM lifter life.

On the AFM 5.3, the camshafts are very prone to excessive wear and pitting. Lifter issues are common as well. While there are no guarantees, quality and condition of the engine oil is a variable that you can control. I would suggest changing the oil frequently using a quality Dexos1 approved oil.

Older 5.3s sure 10-15k doesn't seem nuts but on a 5.3 with AFM you should most definitely follow the OLM still with a quality Dexos oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dogememe
Older 5.3s sure 10-15k doesn't seem nuts but on a 5.3 with AFM you should most definitely follow the OLM still with a quality Dexos oil.

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back