Fram ultra XG8A Defect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi first let me say this is not a bash against Fram or the ultra filter. I have an XG2 on my
2010 mountaineer and will continue to use them. Went to Walmart today to pick up a filter for my 02 jeep and wanted the longer version filter xg8a. I always check the filters before and beings the frams are taped shut I get a store manager and tell him I want to check the filter first because its a 50 mile round trip for me. There were 3 filters I opened the box and the filter had no damage to the can or the box. I then shook the filter and the cartridge was loose and moved up an down and side to side. The manager said it should not make that noise should it and I told him it was defective. I opened another and that one looked good with no noise. Only one left so we opened it and the filter looked good no can damage but the cartridge moved up and down but not as much as the first one. Guys there were no numbers on the filter's that I could write down. The xg2 has numbers and arrows shows the direction to turn the filter. The xg8a had nothing. So I wrote down the CPU code from the box 009100026071 and a second number on the box 100023611 but I do not believe these numbers will help. Also the box stated 15,000 miles. I didn't have a flashlight to look down inside the filter but I can not be certain if I saw a bypass valve but I did see the leaf spring. The reason I posted this was to give a heads up that the filters from all brands should be checked before purchase or after purchase before leaving the store. I still believe the Fram ultra is the best if not one of the best for quality and price. But stuff happens. Oh yea I ended up buying a motorcraft for 3.50. I Will get the Fram when more come in. Should this filter have numbers on it to show lot number and production date???

Yep, any filter should be checked before buying or using.

There should have been a date code etched on the can, but there was a period of time when the date code on Ultras was missing. I posted a thread about that quite a while ago.

If the leaf spring could be seen, the end cap is missing. Unless talking about the leaf where it goes through the end cap hole.
The leaf spring seems more of a retainer, not a lot of spring travel like a coil spring. If in manufacturing the leaf was pushed past it's limit, it would bend out of shape and then leave a gap. How else could a filter element get loose except if the retainer is faulty? Automated machinery goofed and no leaf spring put in?

WOW! Another FU problem story? Hmmmm, seems like the GOLDEN CHILD of automotive oil filters is starting to get a bad reputation. Looks like those defective Purolators on the shelf better move over and make room for the FU's!
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
WOW! Another FU problem story? Hmmmm, seems like the GOLDEN CHILD of automotive oil filters is starting to get a bad reputation. Looks like those defective Purolators on the shelf better move over and make room for the FU's!
shocked.gif

I always shake mine, BEFORE I run them for multiple OCIs!
crackmeup2.gif
Seriously, I've run multiple XG8As (and other Ultras), and I've yet to see this problem-I remember somebody had one with a collapsed leaf spring from being dropped, causing a loose element-that leaf spring is perhaps one of the Ultra's 2 weaknesses-the other being a thin can.

As popularity goes up so will reported issues, based on sheer volume. Keep it up, this is how quality control works.

As popularity goes up so will reported issues, based on sheer volume. Keep it up, this is how quality control works.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
shocked.gif

I always shake mine, BEFORE I run them for multiple OCIs!
crackmeup2.gif
Seriously, I've run multiple XG8As (and other Ultras), and I've yet to see this problem-I remember somebody had one with a collapsed leaf spring from being dropped, causing a loose element-that leaf spring is perhaps one of the Ultra's 2 weaknesses-the other being a thin can.

This is what I wonder,why does Fram use such a thin can?

shocked.gif

Has a long way to catch up to all those Purolator & Motorcraft problems.
wink.gif

BTW, the can thickness isn't any less than 90% of the other filters on the market. People have measured to compare.

Originally Posted By: mcwilly
+1 It happens. The filter box was marked 15,000 miles the filters had no markings. I will continue using the ultra but I will always check first.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
If the leaf spring could be seen, the end cap is missing. Unless talking about the leaf where it goes through the end cap hole.
The leaf spring seems more of a retainer, not a lot of spring travel like a coil spring. If in manufacturing the leaf was pushed past it's limit, it would bend out of shape and then leave a gap. How else could a filter element get loose except if the retainer is faulty? Automated machinery goofed and no leaf spring put in?
Goodtime the part I was seeing would be where the bypass valve is. If the leaf spring or retainer came loose I should have heard that rattling???. This was at the very bottom of the cup.

Fram's website shows the XG8A having a bypass valve. The bypass valve is built into the leaf spring. It's easy to see the round button of the bypass valve by looking down the center tube. Maybe the whole leaf spring was missing ... ?

shocked.gif

Starting to think I made the right decision with the WIX XP that only filters 99% at 35 microns, especially with the knocking noise heard at startup with the Ultra. The weird part, I had run the Ultra on previous changes without any issues, but it seems like something may be going on with the recent issues that are being reported.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
shocked.gif

Has a long way to catch up to all those Purolator & Motorcraft problems.
wink.gif

BTW, the can thickness isn't any less than 90% of the other filters on the market. People have measured to compare.

But, like PUROLATOR, it has to start somewhere!
I don't see this FU problem going away anytime soon!
Oh, the drama! The GOLDEN CHILD FU has kink in its chain! Oh my, this could get ugly for FRAM!
thankyou2.gif

I don't see this FU problem going away anytime soon!

Very isolated cases, so you'll never see it become a real problem like Purolator and the brands they build - including the Motorcraft in your signature. How's that Motorcraft doing, and when is it getting a C&P?
grin.gif

Hopefully an Isolated case...I've been using one in my truck for about a month now, no problems...
A while back, I bought 6 of them on ebay, after reading the OP's post, I checked the other filters and no rattle...Also have the same #'s on the filter box..

Usually this kind of problem happens when the filter has been dropped and dented on the dome end. And with FRAM filters, it might be difficult to always be able to see a small dent on the dome end due to the grippy stuff that's on there. So, you did the smart thing by shaking the filter to check for a rattling sound on the inside.

No filter is meant to withstand being dropped on a hard floor. The thickest of cans can be dented this way. For example, Hyundai OEM filters are built like tanks, but I received one in the mail one time with a large dent on the dome end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back