9mm choice, glock or sccy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my back story. im a revolver guy. i got a charter arms pitbull 9mm revolver to use cheaper 9mm ammo. i dont like it, want to move it along, but i want to keep on with 9mm.

a local shop will take my charter in trade for $225 that allows an even swap for a used sccy cpx2 or $60 more for a new one, or $300 more for a new glock 19 gen 3. the shop offered to sell the c.a. on consignment for 20% but i prefer to cut it loose.

i know that gun prices are cheaper online, especially for the sccy. im looking for a range gun and possible ccw, and to scratch the itch of having a 9mm pistol. i need to have 10 round mags, based on my travels. the single stack 9mm pistols that i handled seem too narrow in the hand to shoot comfortably at the range. i prefer not to sell my c.a. on gb or armslist, or let it grow dust bunnies in the back of my safe.

the sccy gets good reviews, but im probably the only guy in a 100 miles without a glock. i can handle strong recoil (e.g. ruger and bond arms 45lc) but dont like sharp recoil (e.g. this c.a. 9mm or any 357mag), if this makes sense.

would greatly appreciate thoughts on this particular choice: sccy or glock at this price/shop right now, or keep looking? thanks!

Originally Posted By: Al
Glock 26 Holds 10+1
If you want to go smaller Glock 43 6+1

thanks. the 26 seems too short in the hand for a comfortable 100-200 range rounds, but a possible choice. the 43 is definitely too narrow.

Originally Posted By: jstert
Originally Posted By: Al
Glock 26 Holds 10+1
If you want to go smaller Glock 43 6+1

thanks. the 26 seems too short in the hand for a comfortable 100-200 range rounds, but a possible choice. the 43 is definitely too narrow.

They make the pinky finger bottoms for the mags if that bothers you. If you're looking to conceal it, I would also recommend the 26.

i was going to suggest the Glock 26 as well. If you need a little more length, you can get a cheap (~10) magazine extension to get an extra finger on.

Based on the SCCY you're looking at, I assume you're looking for something to concealed carry? I have a 19 and while it's carryable, and may people do, it's still a little on the big size, in my opinion. I would suggest shooting them all (if you haven't already) to help decide, but my vote is for the 26
smile.gif

There would be absolutely no question in my mind - get the Glock.

The G19, or one of its twins in another caliber (G23, G32), in my opinion, is a handgun that everybody who considers himself a “gun person” should have.

I have the G32, and bought a Lone Wolf .40 barrel for practice with cheap ammo (only a barrel swap is needed to go back and forth between .357 & .40 with a G32 or G23).

In my opinion, an SCCY shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same sentence with a Glock.

You bought a 2nd or 3rd tier gun (Charter) and weren’t happy with it. In my opinion, going with an SCCY would be repeating that same mistake.

Absolutely Glock. Quality. Reliability. Huge aftermarket support for customization, accessories, and parts.

I bought a Sccy last year, and although it worked well, it was only comfortable for about 50 rounds at the range for me. I didn't mind the long DA trigger pull but the grooves in the trigger were too much on the finger. I sold it to my BIL and he loves it, but only goes to the range once a year, or less, and never fires more than 50 rounds so it's perfect for him.

You might also want to add the S&W Shield to your options. Since the 2.0 came out, the original Shield can be had for under $300. It comes with a 7, and an 8 round mag but with a Magguts kit they'll accept 9 and 10 rounds and only add 1/4" to the base.

There is one feature the SCCY has that the Glock does not. Double strike, and IMO double strike is very important for a self-defense CCW.The SCCY trigger is like a revolver. For CCW, not target shooting, the SCCY may e a better option.

I have the earlier CXP-1 with the maligned grip safety ( has never bothered me ), so my comments are based on it.

Mine is well made, better than you would expect for the price, and has functioned flawlessly. It fits well in a suit pants pocket, and once in a while I do carry it. I took it straight from the box, put the absolute worst [censored] russian steel case ammo in it, and shot my ccw test with zero problems. It is not all that fun a gun to shoot because of the small size, so I would not consider it a "range" gun. They are cheap ( or inexpensive - however one wants to phrase it ) so it seems silly to consider a used one, or even trading on one.

I have more than a few Glocks, but not a 26, so can't comment there. I like the 20 ( wanted a cheap 10 mm ) and shoot it when I get a chance, but I've just never really been able to feel the love for Glock. I've tried, but failed.

First, you must like the gun. So choosing one that fits your hand is very important. As others have said, you can add magazine base plates that will lengthen the magazine and/or add capacity. I have a Shield 9MM. Although the magazine base plates that I ordered were advertised to fit the 7 round magazine, I put them on the 8 round magazines. I have three extra magazines that I ordered for cheap. The magazine extensions on the 8 round magazines make them the perfect fit for my hand lengthwise. I could stand for the grip to be a smidge wider, but its o.k. I would keep the Charter Arms revolver. You never know what "value" it might have to someone else. Often, some people will hold a gun and fall in love with it. You can never tell what someone else might be willing to trade you for it. I have heard good things about SCCY pistols but cannot attest to their quality. If I can sell the Ruger LCP .380 that I got for my wife, I will probably pick up an SCCY 9mm for her. In general, I would say that it is better to invest in a quality firearm rather than something cheaper and questionable. You will be happier with it if you do and it will hold its value if you decide that you do not like it and decide to sell/trade it later. I've been down this road many times. Like you, I am a revolver guy. It took a lot to get my to purchase a "plastic gun". I had a few kinks to work out of my S&W Shield. Now that I have done that I am very happy with it. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Originally Posted By: jstert

I just don't see that as an issue. A couple hundred rounds is nothing-really. Now I will say if you (or at least me) shoots 100 rounds in like a half hour then you would want to take a half hour break.

I personally love 1911s and Steyrs and am not a Glock fan. But if those were your only two choices..........I'd get the Glock. I think the SCCY might be a good choice for a range gun or something, but if you're depending on it, I'd get something that has been "proven".

I really don't know anything about Sccy pistols, although I have heard good things in general about them. I personally don't prefer Glocks. But, if you only have the two choices, I would get the Glock for all the reasons presented here. Track record, parts, accessories, etc.

That said, I personally would go with a few other models. But, going from a revolver to an auto, I would pick the auto most revolver-like, that fits me.

You should keep looking. They want $225 for a USED SCCY? They go for that NEW in my area. Many options out there between the two you talk about. My LGS has Taurus Millennium G2's at $229 everyday. Also, your store wants $525 for a new gen 3 Glock? Geeze, where are you, 2012?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back