2010 Mountaineer 4.0 Timing chain question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folk. Purchased 2010 Mountaineer at a ford dealer in NH summer of 2016 with 53,000 miles. One owner. Owner had all service work done at the dealer and supplied me with all service records from purchase to trade in. The vehicle is mint was never driven in winter No rust. Service records show oil and filter change every 5,000 miles with motorcraft 5W30 SB and Motor craft filter.
I am using QSUD with a Fram ultra filter at 5,000 miles.Vehicle now has 71000 miles. Inside the engine is spotless The 4.0 has a history of timing chain issues. I have NO noise at startup or running.
So does anyone have a 2008-2010 mountaineer or explorer with the 4.0. Any issues,what oil and filter are you using. What are your OCI. Most videos I have seen show bad mantince and sludge in engines. How many miles do you have on your engine. I have been thinking about this so any info you can give me would help me to stop dwelling on this. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have this engine in my 2006 Ranger. 74k miles and no problems. I expect to get 200k miles out of this engine with no problems. Ford used updated parts starting around 2005 which pretty much solved the timing chain issues. I use Napa Gold filters and cheap synthetic, usually Napa store brand, 5w30. I change it every 5k miles.

If I remember correctly the chain /tensioner issue was addressed by Ford around 2004. My 2006 had over 120000 miles when I sold it. The big issue I had was the transmission.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
If I remember correctly the chain /tensioner issue was addressed by Ford around 2004. My 2006 had over 120000 miles when I sold it. The big issue I had was the transmission.
Thanks rshaw125. I have read about the trans issues and have done 2 pan drops one filter change 2 fluid changes. Total 11 at. So far trans works great. Fords 100,000 drain is ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I have this engine in my 2006 Ranger. 74k miles and no problems. I expect to get 200k miles out of this engine with no problems. Ford used updated parts starting around 2005 which pretty much solved the timing chain issues. I use Napa Gold filters and cheap synthetic, usually Napa store brand, 5w30. I change it every 5k miles.
Thanks exranger was hoping to here good news.

Friends '01 Sport Trac has almost 300k now. Gets jobber filters and bulk 5w30 changes every 3,500. It's been in the family since new and has has timing chain rattle at around 2500 rpm for the last 100k at least. Still runs like an absolute top.

I know someone with a 1998 Explorer with almost 175K on the clock, no death rattle yet. He changes his oil with the cheapest oil and filter(OCODs, ST, Microgard) every 3K. His tranny is still holding up but I advised him the fluid should be changed soon.

Last edited:
I have several Explorers with that engine. I use mostly 5W30 synthetic and 10w30 in the So Cal Summer. Used 10W40 once but in 50 degree temps start up noise was bad. Otherwise they are quiet as mice.BTW all are 150,000 miles -250,000+ miles. Only issue on 1 was a valve spring went at about 130,000 (could be off a few..getting old). Researching that issue I could not find a similar issue.

There is nothing you need to do differently for that engine. Use 5W30 synthetic and change it as you would any other vehicle's OCI. Well there is one thing, I'd consider dropping the oil pan and checking for broken off pieces of plastic timing chain cassette at around 100K mi then each 50K mi thereafter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dave9
There is nothing you need to do differently for that engine. Use 5W30 synthetic and change it as you would any other vehicle's OCI. Well there is one thing, I'd consider dropping the oil pan and checking for broken off pieces of plastic timing chain cassette at around 100K mi then each 50K mi thereafter.
Thanks Dave9 that I can do.

Timing chain was a worry in my 2012 Hyundai Accent GDi. I used 5w30 PUP in winter with a little bit of LM MoS2 and summer PP/QSUD mix of 5w30&10w30 with MoS2 and hit 200k no issues. Saw that little car and some old [censored] had it in Quicklane getting Castrol Magnatec 5w30 filled. I think 5w20 too thin for timing chain GDi IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back