Another how do these plugs look

Status
Not open for further replies.

2011 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L

99,000 miles

Next to last cylinder on passenger side - tube seal is leaking fairly well

Two other plugs had a small bit of oil on the ceramic

To my eyesight, they look fine for another few thousand miles, probably. Except, as you mentioned 2nd from left is having some oil leak in it.

One plug has a corona on the porcelain. The same plug also looks like it was burning slightly differently on the electrode.

For some reason Toyota has issues with their spark plug tube seals. I've been putting off the job myself, as I have a couple like that.

I wouldn't put those back in. They aren't burnt up, but are showing wear such that it doesn't make sense to waste the time removing them again when you can replace them now and leave them 'til 200K.

Different strokes. I never re install old plugs. Out with the old and in with new,whether they need it or not.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
One plug has a corona on the porcelain. The same plug also looks like it was burning slightly differently on the electrode.

Yeah, back in the 70's I had lots of corona burns, ALL the plugs! Champion sent me a new set and some literature, the engine was a
Mopar Slant 6, oil vapour get into the plug wells and left lots of marks, kinda scary at the time! Who knew back then? no Forums! LOL

Good lord, people. These stinking plugs have 100k miles on them. Do you think I took all 8 out at the same time and took some nice pics, posted them here and waited on opinions as to what to do from there?

Sorry....I bought 8 new plugs BEFORE I started the job, checked the gap in the new ones, started taking out the existing plugs one at a time and re-installing them one at a time...

I posted them here to see if anyone had any real world experience and knowledge of what kind of shape the engine is in, burning, etc.

Yes, I know. I need to fix the tube seals. Not exactly an easy job on the Toyota 5.7L engines....

Originally Posted By: thooks
Yes, I know. I need to fix the tube seals. Not exactly an easy job on the Toyota 5.7L engines....

I have half a mind to keep ignoring mine. I wonder if I can just pull out the plugs, let the oil drain, then reinstall, say every 10k... I think I tossed the plugs otherwise I would know just what ones to "check"! as I wrote on the box which one was what as I pulled them out.

No sense in ignoring them. Either pay to have them changed or start getting set up to do it one fee day yourself. It's not going to get better.

I am going to take another hard look at everything that has to be touched/removed and figure out if I want to tackle it.

OP, you were right to change these plugs out. 100k is plenty of life to get out of a spark plug.
I had a neighbor that went by the "I never change them until I get a misfire" mentality, the plugs were so old and degraded the porcelain blew out of the metal shell 3 1/2 hours from home. Plug was seized into the head so bad it broke off.

The plugs from the OP's truck look good to me, normal and even color, and all plugs look to be in decent shape for 99k.
Did you reinstall the same type of plugs? I would stick with them since they held up so well.
NGK and Denso iridium plugs always seem to hold up very well!

Originally Posted By: Kira
If one were to regap and reinstall them how many more miles would they be good for?.....possibly 20K?

What does the manual say?
My 02 Honda manual said to change out every 7 years or 105k. If you clean and reinstall for 20k that's an extra chance of a strip/seize vs. just putting in new plugs for say 75-90k. I change plugs as few times as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back