FORD MAY SIMPLY KILL THE FUSION IN THE U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Following the coattails of a previous thread in this subsection...

http://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-may-simply-kill-fusion/

"Our first hint came last week when Ford confirmed it plans to stop building the Fusion in its Hermosillo, Mexico, factory. Our first thought was that Ford would import the Fusion from China, but that was quickly shut down. “We have no plans to export the next-generation Fusion/Mondeo from China to North America and Europe,” a representative told us in an email. As Automotive News points out, assuming Ford isn’t lying, that means it would have to find a factory in a different country to produce the North American Fusion or stop selling it here.

But when Automotive News asked Jim Hackett, Ford’s new CEO, if he thought the Fusion had a future in the U.S., Hackett responded by saying, “I’m giving you a hint.” Considering that he’d just been talking about no longer producing the Fusion in North America and not importing it from China, it sure sounds like Hackett was saying-without-actually-saying he doesn’t expect to sell the next Fusion in the ‘States."

IMO, the Fusion is one of the better midsized offerings. It has the most engine choices and there is something to fit every taste. It's also a very handsome vehicle. I hope this news isn't set in stone.

Last edited:
The new mid size car market has a lot of choices and is very competitive. This china thing is a trick to see how customers will respond to it on the web and will play a role in Ford's dicsision making process. Buick is making an SUV in China which is sold here in the U.S..

Originally Posted By: khittner
Who cares? Buy a Camry if you want an American car.

Companies and federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies might care. Fusion is quite popular as a fleet car for companies, and as a detective car for pd's due to it's low cost, efficiency, low maintenance, and ruggedness. Cheap solid cars that sip fuel (from a fleet perspective) with American branding that government entities need to show in purchasing (even if not built here still wears badging of domestic manufacturer). And before the "Camry/Accord/ has more actual USA parts content and's made here!!..." argument is proffered, for government entities that answer to the taxpayer it's still important to them to show they've spent tax dollars on an American branded product.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
Of course it would be too much to ask to just build it here.

Get rid of the unions and they'll be able to afford to build it here.

Originally Posted By: khittner
Who cares? Buy a Camry if you want an American car.

I find it ironic how American brands are mostly building outside of the U.S. and "imports" are now mostly built in the U.S.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Companies and federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies might care. Fusion is quite popular as a fleet car for companies, and as a detective car for pd's due to it's low cost, efficiency, low maintenance, and ruggedness. Cheap solid cars that sip fuel (from a fleet perspective) with American branding that government entities need to show in purchasing (even if not built here still wears badging of domestic manufacturer).

They'll just buy some Malibus instead.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Buick is making an SUV in China which is sold here in the U.S..

And every one I've rented is sub standard.

BTW, Ford, I will not buy a Fusion made in China.

I certainly won't be purchasing any Chinese built vehicles any time soon. The Chinese offerings are, at this point, less than ideal. Furthermore, the consistently sneaky way the Chinese substitute sub standard metals and processes in their products remains a problem. It will take some time before they can be trusted. It's that simple.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Buick is making an SUV in China which is sold here in the U.S..

And every one I've rented is sub standard.

BTW, Ford, I will not buy a Fusion made in China.

I certainly won't be purchasing any Chinese built vehicles any time soon. The Chinese offerings are, at this point, less than ideal. Furthermore, the consistently sneaky way the Chinese substitute sub standard metals and processes in their products remains a problem. It will take some time before they can be trusted. It's that simple.

Unfortunately, not a problem specific to China...
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-japan-kobe-steel-metal-scandal-20171010-story.html

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Crazy if they do because the Fusion/MKZ is probably Ford's best car.

for those of you who know the fusion well, which trim/engine/year would be best as a cpo replacement for my passat s (i like s for simple base models, without alot of frills)? thanks.

Originally Posted By: jstert

for those of you who know the fusion well, which trim/engine/year would be best as a cpo replacement for my passat s (i like s for simple base models, without alot of frills)? thanks.

I have been driving for 55 years and my 2007 Fusion 2.3 is the most reliable, rattle free, well handling car I have ever owned. So far, my 2017 Fusion SE with the 2.5 NA engine is performing as well as the 2007.

Even though I am a Ford fan and not a GM fan I sometimes don't understand their logic.
The Fusion is one of Ford's best efforts in years and it may not be sold here anymore?
The Focus has had the PROBLEMATIC Dual-clutch automatic for the last 6 years (you think they would have gotten rid of it and put the regular 6 speed (6F35) in it after a year or so)....to keep giving your customers JUNK not only cost money in warranty repairs but also costs you in future customers leaving your brand.

I'm a Ford guy and this upsets me. Fusion has had good success in the market until recently. In fact, all sales numbers in this segment have decreased due to high SUV/CUV demand (except for the 2018 Camry which is having a successful launch). This is my second Fusion. I turned in my 2013 at the end of the lease and financed the 2015. I love the car because it is comfortable, reliable, and beautiful. Ford will be making a mistake if they end production of this car. All other Ford car designs have been inspired by the Fusion front end. I hope that it doesn't mean the end for Fusion.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Even though I am a Ford fan and not a GM fan I sometimes don't understand their logic.
The Fusion is one of Ford's best efforts in years and it may not be sold here anymore?
The Focus has had the PROBLEMATIC Dual-clutch automatic for the last 6 years (you think they would have gotten rid of it and put the regular 6 speed (6F35) in it after a year or so)....to keep giving your customers JUNK not only cost money in warranty repairs but also costs you in future customers leaving your brand.

I totally agree! This year, sale for Fusion have plummeted and they are still the 4th highest selling mid-size, only behind Camry, Accord, and Altima. Focus and Fiesta have terrible sales figures by comparison but production keeps humming along.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: jstert

I have been driving for 55 years and my 2007 Fusion 2.3 is the most reliable, rattle free, well handling car I have ever owned. So far, my 2017 Fusion SE with the 2.5 NA engine is performing as well as the 2007.

thanks! my gramps and dad were ford guys. their 1962 ford fairlane and 1970 country squire respectively are really sweet memories. my first car was a ten year old 1966 mustang. ive had a hankering to return...

Usually the most competitive markets (like midsize sedans) are the least profitable, for obvious reasons.

Ford's been bleeding for a number of years now. I would guess they are trying to restructure/consolidate their products into more profitable offerings.

Kind of following in the footsteps of Chrysler, who's been shutting down the low-profit, high volume small cars and fleet vehicles to focus on more profitable vehicles. Not a bad strategy: Go for the dollars and let everyone else spend their splitting their resources to fight over the pennies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back