Valvoline dex/merc in a Honda trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I’m borrowing my girlfriends 05 Saturn VUE as my subaru is being worked on (bodywork). Well, I’m tryin got get a good tuneup while I’m borrowing. So as I’m checking stuff, there’s a large 1 gallon jug of valvoline dex/merc blue bottle in the rear. It’s half full. So apparently, someone put it in the car a while back. What harm is this? Auto trans are kinda a mystery to me.

The car does some weird things. When the car is on a negative load. Like between shifts or if i leave it in low, it will make a “grinding” ish noise. But only when cold. Shortly after driving, it’s much quieter. The car shifts ok, maybe a little sluggish.

The car is the Honda equipped 3.5 and Auto. The fluid is dark red. I’m not sure it smells burned, but doesn’t smell right, but I’m also not an expert on Auto.

What should i do? Should i flush it via, cooler, qt at a time? Drain and fill can get very very expensive. I’ve already put a reasonable amount of money into this.

Thank you.

From what I have heard, many Honda transmission using just dex merc will shift very hard (but it is not damaging to the transmission), actually earlier honda spec Dex Merc IIe from factory.

Z1 and DW1 soften it and MaxLife or other brands' import multi-vehicle ATF are designed to work with Honda transmission, so it should be ok as long as the bottle said so on the label.

I'm using Valvoline maxlife full synthetic, its dexron. I know it say's approved for Honda's. I have a high mileage 2003 Acura TL type -S, 234K miles. Been rev'ed hardcore in 3rd a lot! does 100-110mph in 3rd easy. When I bought it, it shifted harsh from 1st to 2nd when cold especially. I did a 3 time fill and drain over a few days and it has been shifting smooth cold, hot, luke warm....ever since. I drive this car more than any of my others, almost daily. Use with confidence. This is coming from someone that normally says to use factory trans fluild! Unless you have low miles, and or a warranty use it, cause the Honda trans fluid is $$$

I know that the maxlife is better and recommended.

I’m asking about what harm is happening with a couple quarts of dex/merc that someone put in it? Maybe next week, but this week it’s gonna be hard to fit in a flush/drain and fill.

Originally Posted By: 91camarosRS
I know that the maxlife is better and recommended.

I’m asking about what harm is happening with a couple quarts of dex/merc that someone put in it? Maybe next week, but this week it’s gonna be hard to fit in a flush/drain and fill.

the plain ol dex/merc will make it shift more harshly.

I would drain and fill with the Maxlife Dex/Merc..its whats in our two Hondas. Then do it again in 25K miles.

Its almost $10/cheaper per gallon at walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-Max...Gallon/15125768

Last edited:
Edit to my post- I remember seeing this so found it again..

Always use Honda Premium
Formula Automatic Transmission
Fluid (ATF). If it is not available,
you may use a DEXRONIII
automatic transmission fluid as a
temporary replacement. However,
continued use can affect shift
quality. Have the transmission
drained and refilled with Honda
ATF as soon as it is convenient.

From Honda North America-
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/CR0000/CR0000O00207A.pdf

Basically following up on previous two posts.

Valvoline Dex/Merc wouldn't be my first choice for aftermarket Z1 spec ATF. That said, I'd just start with a simple MaxLife d&f, and do it relatively soon. Run it awhile, put some miles on it, then do it again. d&fs are fairly easy to do. As noted ML is very reasonable in gallon size, gal ordered from WalMart .com.

There was nothing special about Z1, sheared quickly. Been using ML in two Hondas specing Z1 for years, lots of miles, original trans and working fine.

+1 on starting with a ML D&F. Our Civic had its first D&F at 30k and is now at 148k. I have done three D&F's by this point and the fluid always comes out looking great. Like Sayjac mentioned, I get it at WM.com for around the $18 shipped to my house. I also like to add a few ounces of Lubegard red. The car still shifts like new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back