1965 Allis Chalmers OEM Bypass Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I'd show you guys my 1965 Allis Chalmers Buda 4BD153 diesel bypass filter system. I'm restoring this old forklift and went to change the filter and realized it was a bypass filter. There is no full flow oil filter, but instead a Napa 10 um bypass filter. I've got no idea how many years or hours are on the filter, but I cut it open to see if there was any nasty stuff in the filter. I found no metal or any debris and took an oil sample to have analysed. Here's some pictures:)

I've got a Cockshutt 30 tractor with the Buda 4B153 gasoline engine. When you look at the conditions these engines operated in, and saw the primitive filtration system these engines had, it's amazing that they still run after decades of hard use.

Yes, splash and drip lube can work quite well on agricultural engines. Throw in a modern oil filter if you got an oil pump and the thing will last more forever.

Originally Posted By: A310
I found no metal or any debris and took an oil sample to have analysed. Here's some pictures:)

How gritty is this stuff?

Biggest help to a lot of these old engines, magnetic drain plug
smile.gif

They don't spin fast enough to aerate the oil. The bearings are big and teh steel is usually good
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: A310
I found no metal or any debris and took an oil sample to have analysed. Here's some pictures:)

How gritty is this stuff?

It's mostely carbon and a bit of sludge. The engine has had a history of no oil changes as the head and oil pan have a layer of hard carbon on them. I cleaned most of it off and will run Rotella T 15W40 in it from now on, so that will clean it up nicely. Overall I'm very happy with the condition of the engine all things considered. I finished rebuilding the injector pump and got the engine running again and it runs really well with no blowby, so very happy indeed.

P.S. I did take an oil sample and will ship that off to BlackStone labs in the coming days, be interested to see what that says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back