M1-110A 10k miles cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was installed on my 2016 Honda Accord Sport running M1 0w-20 afe. Car has 30k miles and the oil and filter were run for right at 10k miles and about 4 months. Maintenance minder was at 20% oil life at time of change. I run all highway and the car sees redline every day. I had a lot of idling the last two months while sitting in car pool to pick up the kids at school. I always change the oil and filter at 10k, I never intended to run this M1 filter but that was all Walmart had in stock.

I never cut a filter open before, these things are tough! I pretty much destroyed the can in the process. Either way, everything looked good as far as I could tell. The only thing I noticed were the uneven spacing in the pleats. I might brave up and run the next one for 20k.

Looks good ... Thank you for the C&P.
smile.gif

You have done the work to cut the filter open but if you have gone this far you may as well cut the filter media away form the center tube and stretch it out so you can see into the pleats of the filter paper. Stretch it out and hold it up to the light. You might find holes and other debris.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
You have done the work to cut the filter open but if you have gone this far you may as well cut the filter media away form the center tube and stretch it out so you can see into the pleats of the filter paper. Stretch it out and hold it up to the light. You might find holes and other debris.

I didn’t think of that. I’ll do that tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: Pajero
Pleats aren't equally spaced. Is that normal for Mobil?
Thanks for posting sixsix!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Not until they added the "A" suffix to the part number, but it doesn't appear to have struck all manufacturing. Someone did a C&P of a M1-212A here not long ago that had good even tight pleats.

Link

Doesn't appear to have negatively impacted the M1-110A in this thread, but I won't buy any with the "A" part number suffix personally after seeing the M1-210A posted.

Very good looking filter.

I ran one in my truck last oil change for 3.5k. (Changed it early because I recently changed my LIM gaskets; wasn't sure how crud'd up the can/ media would be.) The pleat spacing wasn't abnormal like the one above, but it was also a smaller diameter too. Very nice looking filter.. clean too. Wasn't even photo worthy.

I'll continue to use them if I can get them discounted. This one was not an A version btw.

Photos like this is reason why I left a Mobil 1 M-104 oil filter on my dad's Honda for 5 years and 15K miles.

Just a yearly drain and refill with fresh oil is all that's needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back