Where do you guys buy Light Bulbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning to order some parts from Rock Auto.

Was curious, where do you guys order OEM bulbs and all? Since, RA has them for really cheap and I can just order to save on shipping.

In the past I have bought from Walmart, but prices at RA seem to be ridiculously low? If there's any other place which is cheaper than Walmart, I am all ears.

Thanks for any advice
smile.gif

P.S: Can one buy all light bulbs in a package for the whole car? So a package of it?

I buy Sylvania bulbs, mostly, and I just pick them up wherever I happen to be: Advance, Walmart, Menards. I'm not going to wait for four days on a light bulb or pay to ship just that. And I don't bother using OEM, I just go with the correct fitment. I doubt that you can get all bulbs for the car in a package.

I'm not stocking up on bulbs for preemptive blown bulbs. The last few bulbs I've bought have been at Wal-Mart minus head light bulbs (GE Nighthawk)
and some no name yellow fogs I got at Pep Boys. The auto parts stores want too much which is why I've bought them at Wal-Mart.

Yes, they are overly priced at many auto-parts stores and hence I always buy them at Walmart.

Today, while I was browsing saw RA had them for quite a few < $1 and hence curious mind is inquiring
smile.gif

Guess, I'll stick to Walmart then.

Mine are Xenons. There are a few other shops like Amazon which are cheaper, but I'd probably get it from a large single source vendor, Amazon has a history of sending out fakes because they have multiple suppliers and they toss all the inventory from various vendors into one bin so even if you buy from Amazon, you might end up with a fake. Strangely even Home Depot is cheaper than rockauto.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

P.S: Can one buy all light bulbs in a package for the whole car? So a package of it?

Why would you ever need this? Are you doing a frame off restoration?

Small ones (turn signals, brake lights, that kind of thing) get replaced for free if they fail the six-monthly inspection, so I dont, so far.

I buy and replace a pair with Phillips bulbs when one burns out.

If you search on eBay, I can guarantee that someone sells a bundle of LEDs for your car. If that's what you're after.

Junkyard is a good choice actually, on a trip for parts just pull all desired bulbs!

good idea and suggestion zzyzzx
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

Why would you ever need this? Are you doing a frame off restoration?

I once did this as a project for my 1989 Accord after it was about 18 years old. Since all the bulbs were incandescent I figured they had all dimmed somewhat and for areas like the instrument cluster it's a lot easier just to disassemble it once. I bought almost all the bulbs at Auto Zone (not my usual go-to place for anything) because they had name brand "long life" bulbs. The only bulbs I couldn't get there were the ones for the rear license plate so I picked those up at the local Honda dealer.

I've lucked out with Amazon - once for my current car where I was able to get genuine Philips D4R bulbs, and again for 194/2824 bulbs where I found a 10-pack of Italian-made Osrams for $10.

I got my 194 markers from rockauto. At the time it was $4/10, shipped, vs $5/2 locally. I also got some cheezy 194 LEDs from ebay... they lasted a year then went into flashy-disco mode.

NAPA/ Carquest are also good for loose single bulbs from their giant drawers.

I keep a junk drawer full of bulbs, some picked off clunkers before crushing them. Lucky to have had several cars in a row take 9005/9006 headlights. Have both bayonet and wedge-base brake lights. Everything else can wait or take a 194 until the right bulb comes in.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I got my 194 markers from rockauto. At the time it was $4/10, shipped, vs $5/2 locally. I also got some cheezy 194 LEDs from ebay... they lasted a year then went into flashy-disco mode.

NAPA/ Carquest are also good for loose single bulbs from their giant drawers.

I keep a junk drawer full of bulbs, some picked off clunkers before crushing them. Lucky to have had several cars in a row take 9005/9006 headlights. Have both bayonet and wedge-base brake lights. Everything else can wait or take a 194 until the right bulb comes in.

Thanks for the advice, never knew about Napa, selling them as a single bulb. Just looked up, seems to be a great/cheap option, when compared with Walmart.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back