Looking for a good syn oil for my Lex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for an oil for my Lexus in my sig. Car has about 52k miles and was maintained very well.

Owners manual lists 5W30, but I'm open to suggestions. Can is driven sparingly (weekends mostly as I take the bus to work..takes 15 minutes) in temps b/t 32F (0C) and up to 77F on a hot summer day. I plan on changing the oil once per yet as the oil capacity is little over 6 quarts.

Thanks in advance

pennzoil platinum, or ultra if shop for it on amazon or walmart. Wait for it to be on sale.

To be honest pretty much anything is fine, don't pay full price just for brand loyalty.

My only personal data point is that m1 seemed to get consumed in my lexii, so i dont use m1 anymore in my lex/toyota engines.

Last edited:
ANy name brand synthetic 5w30 will work fine for your intended usage, so go with whatever is on sale
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: raytseng
pennzoil platinum, or ultra if shop for it on amazon or walmart. Wait for it to be on sale.

To be honest pretty much anything is fine, don't pay full price just for brand loyalty.

My only personal data point is that m1 seemed to get consumed in my lexii, so i dont use m1 anymore in my lex/toyota engines.

I have never had an issue with oil usage in any of my toyota engines. Right now I go 9-10k on mobil1 0w20, no add oil, no drop.

I also thought the factory fill was mobil, for synthetic at least, from toyota. Could be wrong.

Originally Posted By: 93cruiser
Originally Posted By: raytseng

I have never had an issue with oil usage in any of my toyota engines. Right now I go 9-10k on mobil1 0w20, no add oil, no drop.

I also thought the factory fill was mobil, for synthetic at least, from toyota. Could be wrong.

My daughter had a 99 RX 300 which she purchased new and I changed her oil. 10K OCIs with M1 10-30, and didn't use any oil in the OCI. The SUV had 90K when sold.

Factory fill would be tgmo, which is made by mobil but is not mobil1, its tgmo.

My experieces were for the older engines specced for 5w30 a 1uz a 2Jz and a 3uz
if you're on the newer engines that are specced 5w20 maybe its fine.

I don't get caught with brand loyalty, each car could be different. I wasn't happy with it, and pp pu worked better for me. If pp doesn't work for your car, but m1 does that's ok by me too. But if m1 doesn't make you happy, try something else rather than blindly sticking to it.

I use m1 afe in a honda and it works well there.

Last edited:
I agree with what others said above that motor will run great on any quality synthetic. However you may want to try different brands to see if you notice any difference in engine smoothness, quietness and oil consumption if you show any. I have found Valvoline Synpower 5w30 runs better then any other brand I have tried in my 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 V8. I never would have believed it made any difference but the car not only runs smoother but consumes less oil when I wind it up!

Any of the easy to find major brands in 5 qt jugs. Buy at Walmart for low price. I like Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge.

I have a couple of Toyotas, which as we all know are close kin to Lexus. I always run synthetic and have never noticed one brand performing better than any other. I've run Mobil 1, TGMO, Pennzoil Platinum, Pennzoil Ultimate, QSUD, Napa Syn, Amsoil. All have fun great and I would run any of them again with confidence. I generally run whatever I can get on sale. I have 6 5-quart jugs of Havoline Pro Syn that I got for $10/each that I'll be running soon.

Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor
I have a couple of Toyotas, which as we all know are close kin to Lexus. I always run synthetic and have never noticed one brand performing better than any other. I've run Mobil 1, TGMO, Pennzoil Platinum, Pennzoil Ultimate, QSUD, Napa Syn, Amsoil. All have fun great and I would run any of them again with confidence. I generally run whatever I can get on sale. I have 6 5-quart jugs of Havoline Pro Syn that I got for $10/each that I'll be running soon.

THIS
thumbsup2.gif

only Eneos Sustina 5w30.

If you shop Dime stores or fake auto parts stores then:

I don't like, (and never have liked) Valvoline ILSAC GF-4,5 5W30 but love their 0w20.

I had problems switching away from Gold bottle Castrol EDGE with Titanium. If you stick with it, it would be OK. Interesting EP/AW package though jury is still out. The SM Gold botlle edge stuff was fantastically robust and it should be at 10 buck a quart.

Mobil 1 has only worked well twice in 10's of trials over the past 30 years. And that was back when it was a synthetic oil.

Hate Chevron, havoline is done. Shell is worth a try.

An easy rec is Quaker State Ultimate Durability.

M1, PP, VSML, QSUD, Castrol Edge/Magnatec - all good choices. On a Toyota that doesn't sludge or burn oil, you really can't go wrong with any known good oil.

My ears like the sound of Castrol or Pennzoil in a Toyota engine though.

A more interesting question would be what passenger car oil can I put in my XXX car that will mess it up? Aside from long term use of a dramatically wrong weight oil, not much can go wrong with currently available oils. I.E. anybody make bad passenger car oil that will wreck my motor?

only if you dont change it.
or you overthink it and add some snakeoil additives.
ultimately you are fine, it is more about optimization of your costs.

Originally Posted By: silverbar
A more interesting question would be what passenger car oil can I put in my XXX car that will mess it up? Aside from long term use of a dramatically wrong weight oil, not much can go wrong with currently available oils. I.E. anybody make bad passenger car oil that will wreck my motor?
Whatever oil the Nissan dealer "accidentally" put in my car last fall had to come right out. Engine wouldn't rev. Id did run nice at 1000- 1800 rpm. Knocked. Maybe they put a 20 in there. Autofair.

You're in Canada. Everybody in Canada should be using a 0w20 or 0w30 or 0w40 oil. This is 2018, and 10wxx and 5wxx weights are obsolete in cold parts of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back