Quantum Dexos1 Full Synthetic Oil- Data Sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.
A prospective oil supplier sent me the data sheet. I did check the GM website and confirmed valid Dexos1 gen2 licenses for both grades of oil.

To me, the TBN on the 0w20 looks way too low and the viscosity for the 5w30 appears to be incorrect. But these oils are GM licensed and are priced very very low. Should I buy?

Yeah 14.8 @ 100°C is a 40 grade for sure. And like you've noted the 0w20 TBN is less than stellar.. I would pass. Just me. But I would go with Smitty's Super S Dexos approved oil ahead of this. Or Cam2 Dexos approved oil as well for a cheap option. I'd trust either of them more than this.

Another idea... Chevron Havoline has some good deals out your way. I bet you could get Havoline Pro DS for a very good deal in bulk. Even in qt sizes. If I lived where you are.... Chevron Havoline all the way, everyday.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Virgin TBN on 0w-20 is only 5.7?

Yeah, there's something wrong with that! Virgin TBN should over 8.0!! Some oils start over 10!

If you put this oil in your car, how fast would it drop to 1.0 and have to changed?

The temperature for NOACK volatility testing as well as the CCS testing temperature for the 5W30 are incorrect.
That is a very sloppy PDS at the very least...

I agree.

If a company can't even get a simple PDS correct then what else can they not get correct??

That's makes this a deal breaker for me alone.

Last edited:
Right, typos all over the place on that spec sheet.
Noticing pour point for the 0w20 is worse than the 5w30. Another typo there? Seems wrong.

Regardless of their incredibly sloppy job of error checking the spec sheet, this stuff is very likely just something either blended by "Quantum Innovation" (LOL) ... from off the shelf additive packages from Lubrizol, Afton, etc. or simply bought in bulk from Warren Distribution and re-labeled like SuperTech is.
Still dexos1 Gen2 oil is good stuff, so if cheap, worth it.
Like somebody showed the Harvest King full syn dexos1 Gen2 oil for $2 per quart the other day, and it seems impossible to beat (Rural King Stores mail order).

Thanks folks. I think everyone is correct- the spec sheet does not present this product favorably. I found another supplier that is offering ServicePro for a similar price. From my research so far, ServicePro is probably a better option that this. I will start another thread on ServicePro oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back