Reality based VR aka Pokemon Go, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slightly off from my thread on PS4 VR headset. Wonder how far away reality based VR is? For instance, headset yields re-processed live camera image 1:1 stereoscopic scale of the outside world, but since it's re-processed and displayed (like on smartphone camera and Pokemon Go) you can walk around without running into stuff and you can react and use real world cover and concealment and the game or simulation inserts enemies or other VR objects into the real world you are viewing re-processed through the stereoscopic headset. That could be pretty cool if not beginning to create the real possibility of messing with your mind and even causing real sleep disorders and/or other psychological mal-effects if someone played it too much and if the VR characters inserted into the real world imagery were scary stuff, zombies or monsters etc.

Interesting stuff.

We still have a long way to go with VR. Todays experience sucks and is like drinking instant coffee. Come back in 15 years.

(insert typical BITOG luddite useless posts about "you [censored] kids and your electronics / too reliant on phones for entertainment / why back in my day we'd catch polio for funsies / never have never will used it / etc..." responses here)

Honestly I think we're a year - two maybe - away from that being reality. Fully immersive environment based on real time processing. I'm honestly amazed at why my iPhone SE (the guts of a 6 in the body of a 5) can do with Pokemon Go or Yo-Kai Watch Wibble Wobble. Yes, it looks goofy and cartoony on 2 year old hardware, but toss a pair of leading edge phones at it and it's going to fly.

I think it's great that those apps (and others, Niantic, Mario Run, etc...) got a ton of kids off the couch for a summer. Better living through technology!

What you are referring to is called "augmented reality". I think that has more applications as it could be used as a sort of HUD+ for real life. The google glass was before it's time!

Ah ha !! AR not VR. Got it
smile.gif

Some of the VR headsets such as the HTC Vive alread do this at least on a small scale. It can use the camera to make your real world room/home into a virtual room/home. It is pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back