first timing belt chg 2001 Camry. my observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did the first timing belt/water pump/thermostat on our 2001 Camry. 110k miles. the belt was certainly showing slight wear, although it appeared it could have run alot longer. the water pump was not leaking but had a fair mount of play in the bearing. certainly it was well past-due. the whole job took 6 hours. I'm not sure why; it shoulda been 4 hours. and the timing mark on the camshaft pully was hard to see: could not get a sight line with the strut tower blocking the view. I used the Gates kit with the proper coolant. OEM was Aisan.

I too had issues seeing the timing marks. Thankfully--non-interference! I just rotated a few times.

I hate to ask, but: did you replace the o-ring behind the oil-pump? It's like 15 minutes of work--but as you well know, the pump is behind the belt.

I'm guessing it's the first time. we are not the original owners. the Toyota owners portal shows that it was normally serviced at the dealer; and had multiple ATF and coolant changes; so i don't know why the timing belt was never suggested or done. the belt on the car was a Toyota belt but I dont see any indication of a date code on it. needless to say, it will see more frequent timing belt changes!

Originally Posted By: supton
I too had issues seeing the timing marks. Thankfully--non-interference! I just rotated a few times.

I hate to ask, but: did you replace the o-ring behind the oil-pump? It's like 15 minutes of work--but as you well know, the pump is behind the belt.

I did not change the oil pump oil ring. I guess I am not very fluent in Toyota engines.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: tomcat27

I did not change the oil pump oil ring. I guess I am not very fluent in Toyota engines.
frown.gif

Just keep an eye on the oil level--sage advice for any car, but this one is known for this. And for the valve cover gasket. Another bad leak is the oil pressure sensor on the cylinder head. In my case, both the o-ring and the sensor went at the same time: engine running and warm, each was a drip every, oh I'd say 2-3 drips per minute rate.

Every engine is different. Worse, year to year variations will drive you nuts! With any luck, the o-ring will go until next belt change time. I'd make sure to do it then.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27

frown.gif

Just keep an eye on the oil level--sage advice for any car, but this one is known for this. And for the valve cover gasket. Another bad leak is the oil pressure sensor on the cylinder head. In my case, both the o-ring and the sensor went at the same time: engine running and warm, each was a drip every, oh I'd say 2-3 drips per minute rate.

Every engine is different. Worse, year to year variations will drive you nuts! With any luck, the o-ring will go until next belt change time. I'd make sure to do it then.

good advice. will do. thanks. yes, the water pump o rings were toast; I imagine the oil pump o ring could be a problem. one of the spark plug wells gets oil in it, so a vc gasket is next.

at least this engine seems to be basically easy to access. my Echo was unbelievable from the fact that I had to move the engine to remove the water pump: tiny little 1500cc engine - and they couldn't move it over 1/2" ?

For the cam Pulley, a dental mirror is the best way to confirm the cam timing mark. That one is the easy one. The mark for lining up the crank sprocket is a pain - I usually mark the mark with white paint (on the block side) to make things easier.

And yes, always replace the o-ring on the oil pump cover, crank seal and cam seal at every timing belt job on these. I prefer to use the Aisin kit, not the Gates.

My neighbor have a 91 Civic with 1.5 litre engine. On original cambelt. He's only partially happy because water pump is leaking coolant last two years.

Good job on the Toyota.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back