Well, I Broke It (S10 Heater Core)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was climbing up the mountain at a decent RPM and just as I got halfway up I started smelling coolant. Temperature was within what it is going up the mountain, but the window started to fog badly. So bad I had to Ace Ventura it by hanging out the window. Got home and couldn't find anything other than the radiator had no pressure. On a hunch I cranked up the heat and lo and behold...

Lx3MO6O.jpg

AlE2YQi.jpg

Yup, popped the heater core. Apparently its probably been weak and the extra coolant pressure took it out. Most local shops and they all wanted about $900. There's no way I'm paying half of what the truck is worth. Although one shop only has a $45/hour labor rate, but can't get me in till next year (literally, lol) and this is my winter rat. So I get to pull the dash on my vacation and try and clean-up all the mess. Stopped by the local Carquest and got a fresh off the boat made in China heater core for $50. This is the first major problem I've had with the truck, so I can't complain. Stay tuned, let me know if you guys want teardown and install pics.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Yeah post those pics. It won't be a fun job, but I'd do it and save the cash.

Amen JC1, post the pics as I haven’t done a heater core in a long time
smile.gif

Fun and games. I just did a VW golf, the bugger took me almost all day, I put a Webasto in at the same time. Nothing like an old Ford LTD with 6 screws and 2 hoses under the hood and lift it out, 10 minutes.

Will do. Will be next week before I can get to it, but I'll snap some pics along the way. What a way to spend your vacation!
laugh.gif

Or you could put a little stop leak in the radiator and see if it stops both the odour and the drips. Not a permanent fix but it could get you through to "next year" and the reasonably priced shop.

On my first car (a '60 Dodge) I once closed the heating/vent air intake while the heater fan was on. That started a heater core leak. Windows fogged up and it smelled terrible. The stop leak kept it going for over a year. Never did replace it.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Book time is 9hrs.

Some are so difficult and some are easier. Here was my old BMW heater core change. Gotta love it.

If you need to limp along before you get to it, you could bypass the heater core by plumbing the inlet to the outlet.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
Or you could put a little stop leak in the radiator and see if it stops both the odour and the drips. Not a permanent fix but it could get you through to "next year" and the reasonably priced shop.

On my first car (a '60 Dodge) I once closed the heating/vent air intake while the heater fan was on. That started a heater core leak. Windows fogged up and it smelled terrible. The stop leak kept it going for over a year. Never did replace it.

Oh this thing all but exploded, it almost pours, not drips. Leaking coolant all through the system to where it went through the whole box and leaking outside as well. There's a steady drip of coolant down my street and up my driveway. I am glad I have rubber floors!

Too bad you live where it's cold, I would have plumbed up something under the hood with some pipe fittings and elbows making a 'U' from one heater hose to the other and bypass it.

Although you could do that in the meantime and wear a giant snow jacket to stay warm.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Although you could do that in the meantime and wear a giant snow jacket to stay warm.

That's all fine and dandy buy what to do when the windshield freezes up? carry an ice scraper and scrape them at intersections?

Sometimes (actually ALL the time) it's best to just do the job right, the first time.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

That's all fine and dandy buy what to do when the windshield freezes up? carry an ice scraper and scrape them at intersections?

Sometimes (actually ALL the time) it's best to just do the job right, the first time.
I forgot about defrost

We don't use it here but maybe 2-3 times a year
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Delta
Originally Posted By: ecotourist

Oh this thing all but exploded, it almost pours, not drips. Leaking coolant all through the system to where it went through the whole box and leaking outside as well. There's a steady drip of coolant down my street and up my driveway. I am glad I have rubber floors!

If you can live without heat just bypass the core.just run a hose from outlets on water pump.
I did this for awhile on my old trk until I got around to fixing it.

It's Dec in Central PA. The guy needs heat!

Usually the only thing you lose going up the mountains is the vacuum that holds the blend doors closed!

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

I used to crack a window when I got in. That would keep the inside of the windshield from frosting over. Outside, not much can be done to keep it from frosting over, so hopefully one gets heat fast enough, if it's doing that. [I have had to stop and rescrape the windshield a time or two--not the end of the world.]

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Book time is 9hrs.

Some are so difficult and some are easier. Here was my old BMW heater core change. Gotta love it.

Ouch. I traded out of my Jetta when I read that the job was a bit like this one, and that it was a matter of when, not if. I realize that it should be a once in the car's lifetime thing, but man, some jobs are ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back