real maple syrup vs Log Cabin etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: andyd
Mom used to make syrup from water, sugar and this stuff called Maplene. Tastes 'zactly like store brand syrup. Interesting factoid about store brand syrup. Up until about 2K. store brand had a higher %age of real Maple syrup than any of the advertised brands. I don't make pancakes often, but when I do , I go for comfort, not sense.

My mom did the same thing. The price of real maple syrup makes it almost a luxury to me. Anyway that’s all in the past. With type 2 diabetes, I have to stay away from those sort of things.

Yep , or one of the low caloric substitutes . And not very often at that .

Growing up Mom made pancake syrup fron sugar , water and vanala flavoring . Think that is all . Boiled it .

It worked for me .

BTW try using pure Maple syrup in your fav alcoholic drink as a sweetener.

I LOVE it in a brandy old fashioned sweet.

Last edited:
If you have sugar maples on you property or in the woods you can gather your own sap. Should cost no more than a little sweat equity; Don't need a tonne of the stuff.

I havent found a good store bought syrup I liked in 30 years - even the "real" stuff was mostly a distant 2nd rate.

It's always that way comparing homemade to anything else. You look twice at the price of a 32 oz jug but the cost per serving isn't that high and the difference is worth every penny.

I make my own energy bars and the recipe calls for a cup of maple syrup. One time, I was into a batch and realized there was no syrup in the house. Trader Joe's was already closed. I went to whatever local store was open and got a couple bottles of Log Cabin or Aunt Jemima or whatever they had.
Bottom line, bars tasted awful. They had a burnt flavor. From that day forward, only real maple syrup in my house.

For better or worse, I was raised on Log Cabin and still keep it around. It isn't terrible and I have had some others that were not as good. I've also had the genuine stuff and I recognize the superior taste and quality. But the hard reality is that I no longer eat pancakes-waffles-french toast often enough to make using the good stuff practical. I'll probably just stick with LC.

I'm eating a stack of pancakes as I type. I bought some Maple Grove Farms 100% pure maple syrup. The taste is incredible!! It was $7 for a 8.5 ounce bottle vs the $1 a bottle corn syrup swill,BUT,I literally only had to use a few drops of this stuff compared to covering it with the fake stuff. I kid you not,the last time I ate pancakes with the fake stuff,I had a hellacious stomach ache afterwards!

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Real Maple Syrup is food. Corn sweeteners should never be eaten. It's worth the trouble to avoid them.

When you purchase children's cereals the cardboard box might be more nutritious than the cereal. Type II diabetes is a plague and it's spreading fast and these additives like HFCS are the vector.

Don't believe the old saying, everything in moderation. Even the smallest amount of corn sweeteners are bad for you and really screw up the process of living.

Try 30 days without them. It's a real pain. It will be a real project. It's everywhere. HFCS cover up poor quality, stale, nutrient poor food substitutes. You'll be able to feel the results.

To be fair....eating pancakes with any syrup...even "natural" maple syrup.....isn't exactly the healthiest breakfast one could choose.

Originally Posted By: Icecube
I refuse as well. But I live in Canada and surrounded by maples ;-)

I don't know about you, but when I lived up north I used to walk around in the woods and lick the sap off the maple trees. I mean when I was a kid.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
Originally Posted By: Icecube
I refuse as well. But I live in Canada and surrounded by maples ;-)

I don't know about you, but when I lived up north I used to walk around in the woods and lick the sap off the maple trees. I mean when I was a kid.

Out here they just hug the trees. Can't say I've witnessed any licking....yet.

I don't eat pancakes that much, and I've also wondered whether there was much taste difference between Log Cabin and the much more expensive real maple syrup. So I bought both.

Let me tell you - there is no comparison. Real maple syrup is VASTLY superior.

Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back