Magpul Magazines for Glock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought two Magpul Glock 17 magazines a couple years ago. I've used them in my 26 and 19 with no malfunctions. Have others had the same good experience with them?

About a thousand rounds through a Glock 19 with those. They work great. Easy to clean, too!

How funny this topic has come up today as I just bought 2 of the Magpul PMAG 17 GL9 mags. Haven't had a chance to use them yet. It was just a hair over $30 out the door for the pair. Thought for that price I'd try them out in my Glock 19. Yes, no witness holes until the 17th round. Loaded them to capacity with no problems. Both insert and lock in nicely. Hope they work out. Sounds like they will.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Used Glock mags have been so cheap, I never bothered to look at Magpuls.

Even the new one's are now cheap enough to keep me away from them. You can find new OEM Glock magazines for $19.95 at several on line shooting supply outfits. So why screw around with aftermarkets? $5 or $6 bucks isn't going to encourage me to wander away from proven Glock reliability. That's why I bought the gun in the first place.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines.html#manufacturer=GLOCK INC

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100622...d-polymer-black

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Used Glock mags have been so cheap, I never bothered to look at Magpuls.

Exactly. The only thing that annoys me with glock mags is when you add a pinky extension the mag is a btch to disassemble. You can't use the claw.

Absolutely !! ... I love the Magpul G17 magazines - have bought several and they work like a champ (even after dropping them repeatedly in competition) ... Conversely , I did NOT like the Magpul 12 rnd. G26 magazines for the Glock subcompact as my little finger was not comfortable . In the case of the 12 rnd. extended G26 magazines I only by Glock OEM as they fit the best ... For a G17 or G19 I would not hesitate to buy Magpul magazines (even better when you find them on sale !)

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
One reason I asked is that my impression is that the Magpul may be equally good yet so much easier to clean.

I don't know if they are just as good. Only because they lack the metal lining of the OEM Glock mags. I think that adds a lot of rigidity and strength, and helps them hold their shape. And it assures they won't swell or deform, making them non drop free. I never disassemble my mags to clean them. I wash them out in clean Kerosene by submerging them while depressing the follower with the erasure end of a pencil. That acts like an agitator, flushing out all the crud. I then blow them dry with compressed air. It's unbelievable how much that process with wash out of a dirty magazine.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I never disassemble my mags to clean them. I wash them out in clean Kerosene by submerging them while depressing the follower with the erasure end of a pencil. That acts like an agitator, flushing out all the crud. I then blow them dry with compressed air. It's unbelievable how much that process with wash out of a dirty magazine.

That makes about as much sense as changing the oil in your car by dumping 5 quarts of oil into the crankcase (for 10 quarts total), and THEN draining 5 quarts of oil and stabbing the plug back in.

How hard is it to pop a floor plate off, blast the inside with some aerosol Remoil, and then wipe clean with an old rag and a tooth brush. Literally a 45 second operation for a perfectly clean, and perfectly lubricated magazine.

Your mags after the dunk will be WAY, WAY over lubricated if you don't take the floor plates off and wipe everything down with a rag.

Shakes head.

I have some for my G26, but they are range magazines only. EDC = OEM Glock, Target = Anything else.

Never had any issues with the Magpuls though.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Your mags after the dunk will be WAY, WAY over lubricated if you don't take the floor plates off and wipe everything down with a rag.

Not hardly. They're dry as a bone. Kerosene evaporates quickly when hit with compressed air. And they come out perfectly clean. We're not looking to perform surgery here. But if you like to unnecessarily take things apart, and put them back together because you can, then by all means go for it.

How do you inspect for broken springs? Two or three times in my life I have taken a magazine apart to find that the spring is in two pieces. So you wouldn’t know they were damaged unless you took them apart to clean and inspect.

Originally Posted By: billt460
But if you like to unnecessarily take things apart, and put them back together because you can, then by all means go for it.

I like to take the time to do things properly, the first time. You are not saving any time doing it your way, just half assing it.

I like to take the time to do things properly, the first time. You are not saving any time doing it your way, just half assing it.

Clean is clean. It's a magazine for God's sake. And in over 40 years of shooting I've never had a magazine spring break.

You are not saving any time doing it your way, just half assing it.

Perhaps I should try to put it in simpler terms. Which way does your rear end get cleaner, if you wash it, or if you wipe it? Now how is a magazine any different?

To take it further, how do you know there's a problem until you enter from the rear and actually take a look inside, a la colonoscopy...

I'm not even sure what we're talking about anymore
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back