Holiday maintenance plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christmas/New Years is almost here, which means much-needed downtime for folks. So after scarfing down that Christmas ham, what repairs/maintenance do you have on tap to complete? Feel free to post stuff you've done recently as well.

Since after Thanksgiving, I've mainly been busy with my Infiniti; cam/crank sensors, cleaning TB & MAF, OCI, tire rotation and the spark plugs & valve covers (had been putting them off for a long time). The rest of the cars are up on fluid changes and such, so unless something unforeseen pops up, I should be good until the summer.

Last edited:
At some point I need to make my way to a friend's shop so I can mount up my "new" mix and match 33'' tires for the Jeep.

I'll probably look at the radiator hose on the F350, but won't change it.

I still need to winterize my push mower, leaf blower, and weed whacker.
I need to replace an exhaust gasket on the Accord.
The CR-V is about due for an oil change. It also has a big exhaust leak, but I'll probably put that off till spring, as this is my winter car and I can't have it down for long. I know that I'm getting a new stereo for the CR-V for Christmas, so I'll be installing that.
The Ranger is due for a trans fluid change, and I'd like to change the spark plugs soon.

On my Suburban I have to repair something in the steering that's really loose (likely the pitman arm), mess with the rear brakes, change the oil, clean the interior, and take care of smog and registration. Oh, and put in the new Bluetooth stereo! When warm weather comes back I'll probably fix the AC and get new tires.

On my Escape I need to do new spark plugs, gonna do three new ignition coils in the back while I'm in there, and new intake gaskets since you have to take that off to get to it. Also gonna drain&fill the tranny with some Mercon V and clean the interior as well. Long-term it'll need new tires and I have to get the door painted.

Last edited:
Yardwork and plumbing. Did so much yard work my fingerprint no longer unlocks my computer.

I changed the oil yesterday on the diesel pickup. I had to lay in the snow. But it needed doing. Put in CJ-4 synthetic and Ford filter.

Seems I got the side of my head in some oil that spilled. Did not realize. Went to a store with a big black oil smear on part of my face.

3 vehicles in my family are coming up on oil changes soon:

Dad's 2013 Grand Cherokee 5.7L: 102k miles, PP 5w30

Sister's 2013 Jetta 2.5L: 54k miles, Castrol Edge 0w40

Other Sister's 2003 Acura 3.2TL: 133k miles, PP 5w30

I'll probably do just the Jetta and Dad's Jeep this weekend, since that sister lives out of state. The Acura has another 100 miles to go.

Not a dang thing. I get stuff done before it gets cold. Well, usually I don't, I just got lucky this year.

Take a break from working on other people's busted, worn out junk and pull my '82 Mercedes in the shop. I've had it about 2 months but haven't done nearly as much of the PM as I wanted to: ATF/diff. oil change, bleed brakes and address the sticky rear caliper, troubleshoot the driveshaft vibration, adjust valves and check timing chain stretch, fix the sticky fuel gauge sending unit, start taking care of the few rust spots... the list goes on.

Oh, and do the oil change on my FIL's '03 Chevy 1500HD - he drives at least 30K a year and the schedule thus far in the two years he's owned it is twice a year - no more, no less.

Last edited:
Son visiting so he will get his semi annual oil change/filter and engine, cabin filters with a basic check of the rest. Hmm, kind of dependent on me to to his basic maintenance twice a year. Obviously cannot go on forever.

Originally Posted By: fenixguy
Not a dang thing. I get stuff done before it gets cold. Well, usually I don't, I just got lucky this year.

+1, It's no fun doing that type of work in cold weather if you can avoid it.

After Xmas I will be installing an aftermarket stereo and backup camera in the caravan.

I have a Mazda 3 skyactiv that is coming in a bit early for its 75k service, which means LOF, air filter, cabin filter, plugs, tire rotation and inspection. I am going to recommend another trans service and brake fluid flush as well.

Planning to wash and wax / sealant my cars, rotate my tires. Not due for oil change yet.

With kids it is kind of hard to find time and cars get messy quick.

Past few weeks: Replaced pitted and hazy headlight assembly (glass lens can't be restored like plastic, and reflector itself was faded from 20 years of heat). Inspected entire braking system. Replaced rear brake discs, pads, and failing rear calipers. Flushed and bled with new DOT4 LV. Replaced parking brake shoes, lubricated linkage, and adjusted cables. Diagnosed and replaced bad wire harness to RF wheel speed sensor - no more flaky ABS or Traction Control. Inspected and lubricated suspension components. Applied Rain-X and anti-fog to all windows. Installed new snow tires.

Up next: Figure out if I have an intermittent parasitic drain, or a failing battery. Replace cabin air filter. Replace wiper blades. Fix cracked headlight washer fluid hose. Find that $#@%^ rattling noise in the tailgate and make it stop.

My son's 2004 Buick Rendezvous with the 3.4 Just hit 245000 yesterday while test driving it after yesterdays work. My wife was the original owner of it, gave it to him in 2010 with 80000 miles.

As of yesterday just finished replacing the original water pump and thermostat. Also replaced the coolant lines to the throttle body and the bypass hose for the heater.

The original upper and lower radiator hoses were replaced within the last two weeks. Also put in new plugs and wires, replacing the ones I had put in at 80000 miles. New coolant which again had been replaced at 80000 miles.

The thermostat was a bit of a tough job, having to remove the throttle body and the coolant lines and pipe to it. One of the bolts on the thermostat housing could only be turned about 15 degrees with a wrench before having to re-position the wrench.

Also had done an oil change, filter, air filter, and tire rotation within the last month.

Last edited:
Lesseee...

Timing belt, H2O pump n coolant, 'stat, idlers, water temp sensor, crank and cam sensors, lightweight crank pulley.

Time permitting, swap in some NOS headlights and xtremepower bulbs so I can actually see at night. And then new H3 fog bulbs, too.

If I was smart, I'd realign my headlights. They were ok last year but I can't see anything this year--I suspect the housings are going on top of being misaligned.

I should think of doing a tire rotation & oil change. Might not go past "thinking" though. Depends upon how much weather we get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back