Motorcraft filter ... Miles and or time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

Posted in oil forum but realize my question may be more about filters

I don't drive a lot. 7-10k a year.

How long would you run a motorcraft (fl2017b ifit matters) filter? Time and or miles! 8k in 6mo fine? What about 5k in a year? 2k in 3 years?

There is some interaction between miles and distance and I'm just not sure what is a good and bad idea.

I think I'd be comfortable going a little longer (time) oci if I knew filter should be good. I have read motorcraft filters are quality.

I guess that's the question.

Manufacturer normal use is 6mo/7.5k

Severe use says 4mo/5k.

What if you drove 2k in 6 months?

The filter should be fine for 10k miles. The oil would be a different story, unless you are using a synthetic.

10,000 miles of short trips per year where the vehicle barely reaches operating temperature is different than say 10,000 miles of highway travel each year where the vehicle reaches full operating temperature.

My Driving can be variable. I try to stick to 6months if more shorter trips.

But I don't drive to work, and half my miles are long highway drives.

I have been running motorcraft synblend.

I think I will consider going longer than 6mo if not more than 5k miles, but not push it past 9mo or so. If a lot of short trips, I will change based on time.

Change the oil and filter every 6 months regardless and don't worry about it. While the fulter and oil could go longer, all those short trips will mean moisture to deal with.

Originally Posted By: blastoff

I don't drive a lot. 7-10k a year.

Originally Posted By: blastoff

I have been running motorcraft synblend.

10K /1 year on your combo if mostly highway miles.

I'd shorten it to 7-8 months if you have lots of short trips or lots of cold weather starts.

Filters accumulate by volume of oil passed through. So, if there has been little use, they don't "wear out" just sitting there ...

It's not like tires and ozone/UV degradation. It's purely a volume pass through function
smile.gif

The best way to manage filters is a gauge before the filter and one after. If the differential reaches a set limit they get changed. Until then, they stay in place. maybe for years ...

Last edited:
I have been using the MC FL2017B for years now with great results at 10K OCIs in my 2007 Ford Fusion. As for time, anywhere from 6-9 months. The 2017 always looked very good compared to other filters I tried early own. Filters like Fram, M1, etc always twisted when removed. The 2017 never does.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
I have been using the MC FL2017B for years now with great results at 10K OCIs in my 2007 Ford Fusion. As for time, anywhere from 6-9 months. The 2017 always looked very good compared to other filters I tried early own. Filters like Fram, M1, etc always twisted when removed. The 2017 never does.

Here is a pic of the new and old MC FL 2017B with 10K miles. This is the only cartridge filter I have tried that doesn't twist while in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back