Fram TG8A 7500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a perfect day to change oil in the jeep. It was running M1 HM 10w40 on a 7500 mile oci and today it is 48*F. Couldn't have asked for a better day to change the oil on the jeep, considering the hard winter is yet to come.

The jeep just hit 149.1k miles and should be just now getting its legs loose. After a two good oil changes where cold start lifter tick (hot or cold temps doesn't matter) wasn't present with M1 HM 5w30 and 10w30, it came back in the 10w40. It was at it's worse in 40-50*F weather. This morning it was 40*F and did not make a peep, hoping it continues to be quiet.

Last oil change:
6 qts M1 HM 10w40
TG8A

This oil change:
6 qts M1 HM 10w30
TG8A

With the winter I think I'll go for a 6k mile oci. The 10w40 experiment was nice but I think I'll just stick with the 10w30 regimen.

Although all my TG8A's have looked good, I will have to look through my BITOG archive because I think this one was by far the best.

It does look very good. I think they may have boosted the number of pleats again. And 7,500 miles, you are really getting those OCI's up there!

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
It does look very good. I think they may have boosted the number of pleats again. And 7,500 miles, you are really getting those OCI's up there!

thank you KC! They might have, maybe they did, though to my naked eye it looks like the same amount? Yes, first OCI that was over 6000 miles so I was quite anxious the entire time. Will probably do it again when I start commuting to work.

Looks very good. Thanks for c&p sir
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19

thank you KC! They might have, maybe they did, though to my naked eye it looks like the same amount? Yes, first OCI that was over 6000 miles so I was quite anxious the entire time. Will probably do it again when I start commuting to work.

The 10k mile OCI is in your future young Skywalker!
laugh.gif

Looks good.

It's interesting how such an old simple engine can be so sensitive to oil weights.

So many people recommend 5w40 Rotella for this engine yet mine sounded like it was full of marbles on that oil and my oil pressure was sky high on the gauge.

10w30 seems to be the sweet spot for mine with 5w30 in the winter, which is what the owner's manual also indicates.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19

The 10k mile OCI is in your future young Skywalker!
laugh.gif

Hahaha, we'll see about that. I was itching when it was it was left to 1000 miles left on the OCI. I think 500 mile increments might be in order

I bet may well be right about them adding more pleats. This used to be one of Fram's weakness looking filters. Now it is looking this one is kicking butt and taking names.

Very Good job JeepWJ19.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back