Samsung J7v versus Samsung J3 Eclipse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some assistance from those who know more than me.

Dad had a Samsung J7v and destroyed the display while out in the barn. It only would display random pixels and lines when on.

He's under contract, so he went to the local Verizon store, and asked about his options to resolve the issue (fix or replace). My mother is not the healthiest person in the world, so he needs a working cell phone at all times.

The Verizon vendors' solution was to "upgrade" (their term, not mine) to a Samsung J3 Eclipse, for $95.

From what I can tell, I don't think that this was an "upgrade", and am needing assistance on if it really was or not. It would only be an "upgrade" if a smaller screen, an inferior processor and camera, and a smaller battery were all good things.

So, did they lie to a 78 year old guy, who wouldn't know any better? If they did, it is going to hit the fan this afternoon.

I believe they did, solely because a J7 is a higher model than a J3. They may well have thought you don't know any better. And a special edition of a J3 would still be lower than a J7 on the model line. Both are considered value phones. A J7 is better.

No way a carrier-specific J3 is an upgrade from a carrier-specific J7. No.

The J3 Eclipse was released in 2017 and may have newer processor. But it still has a smaller screen. J7 was released mid-2015.

I think upgrade is just a common term with cell vendors … I have done “ less is upgrade” to replace a lost or broken phone cheaply … (and one drowning)

The J3 is a good basic smartphone but not quite as good in any way as the J7

As we see... the J7 is a better phone, and not an "upgrade" to a J3.

That J3 model appears to be a "refresh" of the J3, and is newer. Still not an upgrade.

I just bought the J3 through sprint. I'd pass. Stick with the J7. I'm only using the J3 until my Essential comes tomorrow and then it's getting returned.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
I think upgrade is just a common term with cell vendors … I have done “ less is upgrade” to replace a lost or broken phone cheaply … (and one drowning)

This. "Upgrade" is a generic term these stores use for "replacing your phone"

I think I paid $149 for my Samsung J7v through Best Buy for use with Verizon's pre-paid service. I had to switch to the "new" prepay Verizon service from my old post pay plan to be able to use this phone. It's been a good phone for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back