New 0w20 from castrol? any info on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
VW just started recommending 0w20 for their 2018 new body tiguans 2.0 tsi gen3b. just curious to know if anyone has any info on this oil yet or is it too new. i know vw is pretty strict when it comes to their oil standards

How about that... an HTHS of 2.61 for a Euro Turbo. 'Blasphemy'
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/01597AB5857A941F8025814E00388823/$File/BPXE-ANWVMT.pdf11.1 Noack...meh

Not the same oil there you cited. This new stuff is VW 508/509 approved, and the "LL IV FE" name sounds and looks similar to BMW's 0w20 LL 14 FE (aka, it could be BMW "LL XIV FE"...) spec, but not the same of course in this case. Just VW specs here.

I guess some of the above posters are assuming the VW 508/509 0w20 is the same stuff as Castrol's other SN GF-5 0w20, but this is probably slightly upgraded from that.

What's interesting is VW has now followed BMW into 0w20 territory. Inevitable I guess.

Here is the correct basic spec sheet:
https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/42BECEC5087FDB8D802580DC0066C8C9/$File/BPXE-AKE6LY.pdf

Notice Pour Point dropped about 20 degC, so, yes, this LL IV FE formula probably uses more PAO in the base oil to get that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/01597AB5857A941F8025814E00388823/$File/BPXE-ANWVMT.pdf11.1 Noack...meh

Not the same oil there you cited. This new stuff is VW 508/509 approved, and the "LL IV FE" name sounds and looks similar to BMW's 0w20 LL 14 FE (aka, it could be BMW "LL XIV FE"...) spec, but not the same of course in this case. Just VW specs here.

How about this one:
https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/Fusio...BPXE-AKE6LY.pdf

But it is funny that they named this VW spec-compliant oil "LL IV" which sounds like BMW LL-04, as you pointed out.

All the previous discussions about BMW now going to LL01FE 0w30 and/or LL14FE 0w20 low HTHS oils apply here. Re-hash all that.
There was some BMW dealer tech who was saying they rarely use xw40 oils anymore. All 0w20 or 0w30 HTHS 2.6-3.0 oils now.
Now VW trending there too.
Yes, even in BMW and VW turbo engines now.

All the previous discussions about BMW now going to LL01FE 0w30 and/or LL14FE 0w20 low HTHS oils apply here. Re-hash all that.
There was some BMW dealer tech who was saying they rarely use xw40 oils anymore. All 0w20 or 0w30 HTHS 2.6-3.0 oils now.

What I thought was interesting is my GTI gets the same mileage as our Sonata, both have similar HP output, one is forced induction (GTI) yet yield the same MPG's. One uses 5w20 the other 0w40 (what I use manual states 5w40 or 502 approved).

So does the weight of the oil really matter for MPG's? Or are they dropping weight for another reason?

Curious on this.

Jeff

I'll check back in a year and see if they change it to a 30 grade like Ford did with some of their engines calling for a 20 grade oil.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
What I thought was interesting is my GTI gets the same mileage as our Sonata, both have similar HP output, one is forced induction (GTI) yet yield the same MPG's. One uses 5w20 the other 0w40 (what I use manual states 5w40 or 502 approved).

Put some 0w-20 in your GTI and and let us know if your MPG improves.
smile.gif

So does the weight of the oil really matter for MPG's? Or are they dropping weight for another reason?

Curious on this.

Jeff

Your GTI and Sonata have very different size, weight, gear ratio, tires. Not an apple to apple comparison.

Last edited:
That's silly, 0w20 in a VW? Sounds like they are trying to get some CAFE bucks back to make up for all they paid out in diesel-gate.

They could back spec them to 0w40 later and give CAFE the bird once again.
laugh.gif

Incidentally, every single vehicle I have had first hand experience with (quite a few now many different makes) that was given a steady 20 grade diet has developed consumption...some as early as 25 to 30k miles. Now how is THAT saving any resources?

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
That's silly, 0w20 in a VW? Sounds like they are trying to get some CAFE bucks back to make up for all they paid out in diesel-gate.

They could back spec them to 0w40 later and give CAFE the bird once again.
laugh.gif

Incidentally, every single vehicle I have had first hand experience with (quite a few now many different makes) that was given a steady 20 grade diet has developed consumption...some as early as 25 to 30k miles. Now how is THAT saving any resources?

Bingo, my guess is they end up changing the spec.

Curious on this.

Jeff

Two very different vehicles to be comparing if weight makes a difference because one uses 20 and the other, 40.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
That's silly, 0w20 in a VW?

It does seem odd, but for a soccer mom's grocery getter that probably goes to the quick lube every 3,000 miles, it may not be a stretch.
wink.gif
From a VW perspective, as long as those people significantly outnumber those who would better be served by a long drain A3/B4, it might work.

Of course, the oil consumption issue is another matter, since that's not pollution or waste that's actually tested for, so it's not real, I guess.
whistle.gif

Is that press release saying that this new oil will deliver 4% better fuel economy? The wording is somewhat vague. In Either case that seems unrealistic.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Is that press release saying that this new oil will deliver 4% better fuel economy? The wording is somewhat vague. In Either case that seems unrealistic.

I agree, the wording is dubious.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

Compared to 15w-40 reference oil which was probably mineral...

Quote:
1 In the required test PV1451 to pass the demanding VW specification VW 508 00/509 00, Castrol EDGE Professional LL IV FE 0W-20 gave more than 4% fuel economy benefit when compared to the test's 15W-40 reference oil. Actual results under road conditions may vary according to vehicle type, driving conditions and style.

We don't know what driving conditions the test entailed. If there was a lot of driving on a cold engine in the middle of northern states' winter, then I guess it's possible. It's all about how you design the test.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back