Supertech 5W-30 Synthetic for my 2017 Elanta 2.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

In an effort to save some money, I am considering using Walmart's Supertech 5W-30 Full Synthetic for my 2017 Elantra SE 2.0 with 8,300 miles. Does this oil meet the requirements for my
2017 Elantra? Is Supertech basically the same quality as Pennzoil, QS, etc? My plan is to keep my elantra long term, 150,000 + miles. So I don't want to be cheap!

Would Supertech be just as good as the other oil I have been using....Motorcraft Synthetic Blend? I plan to use one of the two for my change next week.

Thanks

Last edited:
It is very good oil, and can come from Citgo or warren oil depending on the region it is sold.

I think it meets GM's stringent "Dexos" specification.

Last edited:
You don't have to use ONLY Quaker State oil.

Yes, this SuperTech Synthetic will conform to your Hyundai Elantra. It's a synthetic motor oil!

Yes, SuperTech Syn is equal to or better than MotorCraft Syn/Blend because again, the SuperTech is a SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL!

Now, when you mention...Pennzoil, Quaker State and others, are you only talking about their being regular/conventional motor oil as compared to Super Tech Synthetic?

Super Tech Synthetic(and their regular/conventional motor oil for that matter) are made to API & ILSAC standards & specifications. They have to be made to these Std/Spec according to LAW(I may be wrong on the LAW thing). If not made to these Std/Spec, they(Walmart) couldn't sell it.

In your engine, I would use any of the oils you listed as I don't think Hyundai has any particular requirement such as e.g., dexos.

Last edited:
This will not save you much money. 10 bucks a year?

Do you have ring sticking issues that would warrant use of "synthetic"
OTW "synthetic" will not extend the life of the engine beyond "conventional".
Good engines have been going 200-300K miles on "lowly" group I oil for decades.

Typically not without a valve job or timing set, though.

Originally Posted By: CaptainBiggles
Originally Posted By: CT8
What motor oil specs are recommented in theowners manual?

I thought I was having flash backs when you replied then I realized I wasn't: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4427941/FULL_synthetic_or_blend_for_my

LOL

But yeah, like most Hyundais I think 5w-20 is definitely their recommendation.

Isn't Supertech Dexos rated? Last I heard it's good stuff. Just has a Walmart stigma attached.
What are the recommended specs? I know the manual has the proper specs required. SN? sm? sl? A3/B4? What does the manual have in it.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
This will not save you much money. 10 bucks a year?

Do you have ring sticking issues that would warrant use of "synthetic"
OTW "synthetic" will not extend the life of the engine beyond "conventional".
Good engines have been going 200-300K miles on "lowly" group I oil for decades.

Typically not without a valve job or timing set, though.

He has a 2017 Elantra. It’s too soon to think about stuck rings.

Hyundais are not all that sensitive to oil choice. At 7,500 miles OCI, you are not really going to see a lot of benefit of Synthetic over a Conv./Synblend in the base 2.0 engine. However, the Wallyword Syn if often at a Conv./Synblend price, so why not. Most conventional are surprisingly good for "average use" in a general commuter car. If it was my car, it would get Conventional Havoline and a OEM Filter.

If it was the 1.6 Turbo or a more performance engine, then I would pay more the synthetic.

If you are not going to "cheap", spend money on the better oil filter and keep up on the non-motor oil PM. That is where you get your money back. Otherwise, 150K for the Elantras is an easy bar to jump.

His Elantra only requires API-SM and ILSAC GF-4. SuperTech is an SN GF-5 oil, so yes, it satisfies the recommendation in the Owner's Manual.

Originally Posted By: wemay

His Elantra only requires API-SM and ILSAC GF-4. SuperTech is an SN GF-5 oil, so yes, it satisfies the recommendation in the Owner's Manual.

Thanks Wemay, I was looking for a quick place to steal that.

Hyundai's are really forgiving for oil choice. an SM oil with basically any Xw30 option is fantastic.

Bottom Feeder,

The 2017 Elantra 2.0 is NOT a DI engine...its naturally aspirated multi port.

Last edited:
32.gif

Even if it were DI, Hyundai has recommended the same specs for all their non-turbo applications since the implementation of DI in many of their vehicles in 2010. I'm sure there's a great number of these owners who only change oil as a chore and with that, go the least expensive route that conforms to the OM recommendation...Conventional Oil without issue.

SuperTech is NOT made by Warren Oil. SuperTech is blended by The Warren Distribution company (aka Warren Performance Products), as a separate & different company from "Warren Oil", and uses GroupIII base oils it gets from wherever it can, yet Pennzoil uses better GroupIII oils in their synthetics, that GTL stuff. Probably not much different in performance in a normal oil change interval.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
SuperTech is NOT made by Warren Oil. SuperTech is blended by The Warren Distribution company (aka Warren Performance Products), as a separate & different company from "Warren Oil", and uses GroupIII base oils it gets from wherever it can, yet Pennzoil uses better GroupIII oils in their synthetics, that GTL stuff. Probably not much different in performance in a normal oil change interval.

Its Amalie oil in my Walmart. Good stuff.

Why would you do that Supertech has no rebates? When you can get back $10 from Pennzoil. On a rebate the Ultra at my local Walmart was $19.98.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

Yeah, Warren Dist/WPP is better (product wise) than the Warren Oil (aslo known as Warren/Coastal).

I wouldn't say that WD/WPP gets it from "wherever" as they likely have their own supply agreements and are likely getting their base oils from Chevron, ConocoPhillips, Citgo, or other recyclers. Same goes from Valvoline/Ashland it seems. Ultimately, the final product is important and for the pricepoint it seems that ST (and Mag1) can be one of the best.

As for Shell, they are also known for "getting it from wherever they can" as they are known to dump better base-stock into yellow bottles...

For me, why use Pennzoil Ultra when Formula Shell is sub-$10 or even Havoline, Supertech Conv, Mobil5000 can be had for sub-$12 per 5qt in this application.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

For me, why use Pennzoil Ultra when Formula Shell is sub-$10 or even Havoline, Supertech Conv, Mobil5000 can be had for sub-$12 per 5qt in this application.

Well my feeling is why would you buy conventional when full synthetic offers you 50% less wear and longer OCI protection at the same price with rebate?

Originally Posted By: flinter
Bottom Feeder,

The 2017 Elantra 2.0 is NOT a DI engine...its naturally aspirated multi port.

I stand corrected. I thought Hyundai embraced DI engines years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back