2006 Tacoma CEL P0460

Status
Not open for further replies.
First maintenance issue in 11 years of ownership!!!

So starting last spring I started hearing a couple of noises. The first sounded like a rattle - but not metal, more like the sound you'd hear if something was dragging against fan. It only lasted a brief amount of time, and was gone. The second noise was more like a diesel engine sound, at lower rpm ranges typically. Very intermittent. I always run 89 octane fuel, BTW.

I let it go as the first wasn't really an issue unless the truck sat out in the cold overnight. I had my trusted local shop check things out and their best guess was something in the exhaust causing either/both. They had recommended Marvel Mystery Oil as a cleaner and I added 8 oz to the crankcase. About a week later the truck threw code P0460, related to the cat (or cats). I don't believe in coincidences so I am wondering if adding the Marvel could have caused something problematic downstream?

This morning I am changing the PCV valve, air filter, and cleaning the MAF as first steps towards resolving the light - any other thoughts/input welcome.

I had that code recently on a Nissan. Turned out not to be the fuel level sensor, it was problems with the cluster.

Most probably your catalyst converter went south (its mesh inside basically)...thats why it is rattling...inside its housing...

Did your fuel consumption go up recently? (engine went in "safe mode")

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back