Kendall GT-1 Max Full Synthetic 5W-30 For Shop Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can get Kendall GT-1 synthetic 5W-30 for $3.58/qt everyday from one of my wholesale contacts. I've been considering just putting it in as our shop oil. We work on small block Chevrolets, fords, and Chryslers of all ages; big block Chevrolets, Fords and Chryslers of all ages; Ford vulcans, GM3800's, Chrysler V6's, and assorted domestic four cylinders. Occasionally we'll see a Honda, Toyota or Nissan in the shop. I was just wondering what the group thought about using this oil across the board.

Is the $3.58/qt price for bulk or cases?

One of my wholesale vendors is offering a price that is significantly lower than yours for Dexos1 approved “Quantum” synthetic, but it is a generic brand and I have no idea how well it will perform on longer drains.

$3.58/qt is a decent price for a semi name brand full synthetic if it is Dexos1 approved, but it is still a bit pricey for professional use.

I forgot to mention we work on a lot of ls V8's and Ford modulars too.

$3.58/qt is case price. I could get by with only having to have two or three cases on hand at a time.

No problems with Kendall oil. If that's the best price you can get - go for it
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Red91
I forgot to mention we work on a lot of ls V8's and Ford modulars too.

$3.58/qt is case price. I could get by with only having to have two or three cases on hand at a time.

That is pretty good- the vendor I spoke with has a 10 case minimum.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I can get Harvest King full synth (Meets DEXOS) for $10 a gallon here.

+1, here as well in northern Ohio. Plus $6.99/gallon for their conventional.

Shops around here, prob even Walmart charge $50 for a full syn oil change. Seems like a decent price. Can't even get MC syn-blend at Walmart for the price Red mentioned.

Do it right or don't do it. Market to your customers that you use the correct oil for each application
and don't skimp on quality. Your not going to do that with one flavor and viscosity across the board.

Red91, I thiink the full synthetic Kendall GT-1 is a good oil. The 5W30 comes in two flavours either Dexos1 or with Titanium. You can't get both Dexos & Titanium in the same oil from Kendall, they are two different products and both are good.

Which one are you going for ?

I almost ordered a case of Kendall GT-1 10W30 with Titanium for myself, as I found a local importer here. But in the end the price was a bit too much for me. It was fairly expensive in Oz. My interest in the 10W30 was my belief that a full synthetic in this viscosity grade should be fairly close to a monograde and all the good stuff that went along with that: low volatility and shear stability. In the end Castrol Australia released their Edge 10W30 which was an easier and less expensive option for me. Not many full synthetic 10W30s in Oz.

Anyway I looked into Kendall GT-1 and I thought it was a good oil. According to the Kendall web site the Dexos1 oil is Gen2, so up to date.

You know what your customers want and need. I trust your call.

I'll just keep Havoline. The more I think about it the more I don't even want to bother with synthetic and/or dexos apps. Havoline in 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-40 covers every conceivable oil change I can see us doing.

Chevron Havoline make good stuff, here is the PDF of their product line, which you probably already have. But just to throw it out there (Link)

The three grades you listed would be my pick too. Plus some SAE 30 for yourself.

My Subaru dealership seems to use Havoline oil. Or I should say "Quality Havoline oil" as per the invoice.

What about VW engines or anything requiring euro specs though?

We don't work on European cars. We also stay away from diesels for the most part. In the event that a European car, diesel or dexos app rolls through the shop I can get an appropriate oil. I just can't justify keeping those oils in stock for months at a time. It's money spent with no return, and I'm frugal with what I spend.

I used Kendall Titanium in my room mates Saturn Vue 4 cyl and one of my slant six D100's seemed to run pretty smooth.

I really like Chevron products. The Havoline I stock is $35.50/case ($2.96/qt) from my other wholesaler. I can also get Delo, Rotella, Lubriguard, Lubrigold and Warren branded products from them. I don't like having much more than two cases of a given grade on hand at a time. We don't do many oil changes compared to other shops. Honestly 10W-40 covers more of what we work on than anything else.

Where can the general public buy Kendall motor oil? I haven't seen it anywhere but service centers like Firestone. Would like to give it a try one day.

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
Originally Posted By: vwalburn
Where can the general public buy Kendall motor oil? I haven't seen it anywhere but service centers like
Firestone. Would like to give it a try one day.
http://www.kendallmotoroils.com

Petroleum Service Company will ship it out to you for cheaper. Other retail distributors usually charge much more!
google Petroleum Service Company, or go on Amazon.com, or walmart.com, .....

I have used Kendall oils for years in gas and diesels and taken hundreds of used oil samples. Never a lube or wear problem. A lot of the UOAs are here at BITOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back