Why is my cartridge filter getting crushed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shown in the photo is the Mobil1 M1C-151A cartridge filter that came out of my Equinox yesterday. The interior plastic frame seemed undamaged and intact. The cap on the housing can only be screwed in so far so I don't think it's from over tightening. Why did this happen? Is this common in these types of filters?

I suspect a fitment issue- the cartridge is slightly too long. Try an ACDelco Filter.

I'd blame cellulose fiber swelling from absorbing oil. We don't always see that, but sometimes.
As long as there aren't any Purolator-style tears or holes in the media, its fine.

This happens on my 2012 equinox. I use ACdelco filters or Bosch Distance +. Never a tear or anything overly concerning. It is annoying that they do that. It does not always do that just sometimes.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Are you snapping it into the cap before placing it in the housing?

Yep

If this continues, try changing the oil filter housing cap. The bypass valve is in this piece and it may be sticking. The cap is sold with the filter and O ring at GM dealers or online AC Delco. Don't have the part number handy.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Is this common in these types of filters?.....

Looks like an ecotec filter cartridge, if so, it's not all that an uncommon result from many brands.

As suggested, some say putting cartridge in cap first helps. You did that. Might try OEM ACDelco, however I've even seen some anecdotes of them looking similar.

Most obvious answer would seem to be a fitment issue, but if that's the case it happens to many. Try an ACDelco cartridge, see if it has better results.

Looks like a cousin of Purflux
smile.gif
If it is just distorted, and not tearing as a result, I wouldn't worry about it as long as it seals top and bottom. I've seen Ultras do that in Germans(?), so not too sure about the cellulose theory.

I sent an email to mobil using the web based form. No way to attach a photo to the inquiry. It will be interesting to see what they say. If I get a response I'll let you know what they have to say.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
I'd blame cellulose fiber swelling from absorbing oil. We don't always see that, but sometimes.
As long as there aren't any Purolator-style tears or holes in the media, its fine.

This is an M1 with 10k miles (from 3.5L ecoboost) … running 5w40 … it is a blend of cellulose & synthetics

I always used the AC Delco in my Ecotecs and they never came out looking like this. The AC Delco is made by Hengst, it's a quality filter and maade by the same company that designed the housing.

Originally Posted By: Starman2112
Originally Posted By: The Critic
I suspect a fitment issue- the cartridge is slightly too long. Try an ACDelco Filter.

This. ^

Ditto.

Stock up from RockAuto or Ebay or Amazon.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

01.gif

M
ONLY use these filters for the Ecotecs using that style filter:
Hengst E630H
Mann HU 6007x
Purflux L264A
ACDelco PF457G (which is made by Hengst)
ACDelco PF458G (filter plus end cap and O-ring) You do not need to replace the cap every OCI

The OE supplier used to be Purflux, but they are now made by Hengst.

The PF457G does NOT include an O-ring! All the others do.

Yes. A family member has a 2004-5 Chevy Cavalier and all the filters that come out of that engine looks the same as your pic.

So I just got this from Mobil Hotline team.

Bob

The M1C-151A oil filter snaps into the cap and as the cap is tightened down the filter becomes tight and the twisting motion often causes the filter to have bent or twisted media. This effect although not desirable will not affect the performance of the filter. I have seen this effect on many different brands of filters including the AC Delco PF2257G OEM filter.

Technical Hotline Team

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
So I just got this from Mobil Hotline team.

Bob

The M1C-151A oil filter snaps into the cap and as the cap is tightened down the filter becomes tight and the twisting motion often causes the filter to have bent or twisted media. This effect although not desirable will not affect the performance of the filter. I have seen this effect on many different brands of filters including the AC Delco PF2257G OEM filter.

Technical Hotline Team

Interesting and similar to what I posted in the prior post here. Seems to debunk the 'put cartridge into cap first prevents the issue', idea. I'll say the best results I've seen overall is from the Hengst made AC Delco cartridge, but even those occasionally have shown it.

While some information purports that the new(er) yellow media ACDelco cartridge is still made by Hengst, afaik it no longer says Hengst on the endcap. And the newer ACD uses a wrap over the media endcap like topic filter, where the Hengst made ACD did not.

AC Delco filters for this application are made by both Hengst and Champion Labs.
Hengst use the flat style end caps, Champ uses the cupped, wrap around end caps.
Both are good quality, but I prefer the Hengst. They seem to pack more pleats in, and the flat end caps make for taller pleats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back