Fram XG3614 18,027 mi C&P

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMZ

This Fram XG3614 was used on a 2008 Toyota 4 Runner with the 2UZ-FE 4.7L V8. It was ran for 1 year and 18,027 mi with Mobil 1 EP 5W-30.

Based on my UOA results I am sticking with this combo for 1 yr/15-20k mi.

UOA posted here .

wjvv42.jpg

6jeovt.jpg

20q1h0m.jpg

Thanks. I will have a fram ultra7317 with around 20k miles on it so this looks impressive and promising. Hey thanks for defending our freedoms too.
34.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: GMZ
UOA posted here .

Noticed for both runs Water % = 0.0 ... so theory around here that full synthetic filters hurt the UOA water numbers doesn't seem to "hold water".

Thanks for the C&P.

Was initially concerned about a long OCI on such a small filter, but those fears were unfounded.

The last UOA was a M1-209 filter, Fram seems to have it beat for much cheaper.

Have you got a pic of the fram next to the oem 90915-yzzd3 for size comparison? Is there any chance you'd run an oem filter for a year/OCI just for a UOA comparison?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMZ
Was initially concerned about a long OCI on such a small filter, but those fears were unfounded.

Does it have room for the XG3600? Same diameter, but about 1.5" longer.

The C&P does look good though.

Wow, same size 3614 oil filter on my 2.0L hybrid engine (which only runs for half my miles....) as on this 4.7L V8 (which runs for every mile and idles too).

I put a 3600 oversized Fram Ultra oil filter on my 2.0L, so I guess I could go for 40,000 miles theoretically on a Fram Ultra especially. hmmmm... maybe?

Originally Posted By: blupupher

Does it have room for the XG3600? Same diameter, but about 1.5" longer.

The C&P does look good though.

I used to run an M1-209 which is oversized for this application so I imagine a 3600 would fit fine too and I'd probably put 7 qts instead of 6.6 qts.

Originally Posted By: BlakeB
Have you got a pic of the fram next to the oem 90915-yzzd3 for size comparison? Is there any chance you'd run an oem filter for a year/OCI just for a UOA comparison?

Dug through the filter drawer and found one, along with a lost and forgotten M1-209.

Unlikely that I would change anything in my regimen at this time.

3505w6r.jpg

Nice, good comparison! Do you by chance have an ultragauge or scangauge? I'd be interested to know what your average speed was and how many hours the oil is in service on a typical OCI. I short trip my Tacoma a lot and change the oil every 6 months at 2,500-3,000 miles and ~180 engine hours. My average speed is about 13.8 mph.

Great looking filter! Thanks for the c&p and a more importantly a big thank for you service to our country.

That's just a little over 620 hours on that OCI. Further proof that most of us could use an oil filter (on a clean engine) for 2-3 typical OCIs pretty easily. Is there room to run an xg8a on the 4runner? There's clearly nothing wrong with what you're using, but more media surface area typically results in slower/more even flow over the filter media, slower flow is said to result in better filtration. A bigger filter would also help keep the filter out of bypass on cold starts, as well as having more contaminant holding capacity, not that that's an issue here. A larger oil filter would also add some extra oil capacity, a good thing if you're extending your OCI.

I did a search and found this, shows the two filters side by side.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/102-ca...-vs-xg3614.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back