AGM Batteries 12.8 or 12.9v instead of 12.7 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah the AGM batteries will having a higher open voltage than a comparable flooded battery being both are truly 100% state of charge.

Last edited:
A fully charged lead-acid battery will show 2.2V per cell (6.6V on a "6 Volt" battery and 13.2V on a "12 Volt" battery).

The 12.7~9 V/AGM reading they refer to in the OP's article is after a load has drained part of the charge.

Wouldn't 13.2v be the initial surface charge which bleeds off few minutes after removing a charger/maintainer, and the AGM battery then settles at 12.9?

Usually I have seen AGM stays between 12.75-13V. My current Yuasa AGM, stays at 13V even after a few days tender is removed, measuring from cheap HF multimeter though.

While lead acid ones I have seen between 12.4-12.6 after it has been fully charged, and tender is removed. These voltage varies based on the age of battery too.

All for motorcycles.

The specific gravity of the electrolyte is higher in AGMs than a flooded battery. That is most of the gain in voltage.

Usually in the 1.315 range when finished and fully charged.

The AGM banks in our trucks when properly charged settle out at 12.8 to 12.9. We basically charge at 14.7 and float at 13.8 on the charger, alternators temp compensate and will run between 13.5 and 14.9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back