Which Brake Rotor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, this is probably 87th post about brakes. But I have already bought Wagner TQ Ceramic(front) and Centric Posi Ceramic(rear) pads for my 8th Gen Civic.

Debating about rotors, have 3 options. 1- Bosch(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AGCV8Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&psc=1) 2- Centric(http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2035442&cc=1432623&jsn=1) 3- Wagner (http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4795947&cc=1432623&jsn=3)

Centric is cheapest one, then Bosch and finally Wagner.

Of course, they are still cheaper than OEM(~$100 per rotor).

Which one I should pick or either one a good choice for a regular car(no commute and aggressive driving/braking? Thanks again for your advice fellow BITOGers
thumbsup2.gif

I'd probably go with the bosch 35 is a decent price and they are coated to help prevent rust.

From my many years of experience, I will only buy OEM Toyota rotors. Of course, many other people may have had much different experiences than I. I don't turn rotors either. You can see all my cars are Toyota's. That will give you an idea of the price difference I dealt with.

I's use Bosch. Too bad you already bought pads. My sister had a Camry I put EBC Ultimax2 pads on and they were the best, most transformative pads I've ever installed on a vehicle.

#3 Wagner.

Simply because the hat is painted to prevent rust. They will still look good in a month (and for years to come) The others will be COVERED IN RUST and look like they are 10 years old.

Somebody else commented about EBC eating rotors in the last two weeks … really surprised me since they were so dusty - that had me thinking the pads would wear fast … nope, other way around so I tossed the pads while plenty thick still …

I am leaning towards Wagner too now, because it's cheaper than Centric Premium and have coating which would help in terms of rust and all.

Initially, I was going after Bosch, but have read that they outsource stuff, not sure how true/accurate that is though? So Wagner or Centric! Will flip a coin
laugh.gif

Looking back on my own experiences and those of my friends and family, there are exactly two brands I would trust for brakes:

1. OE
2. Brembo

Usually in that order.

I have had good results with Centric. I don't remember if they were the Premium grade; but if there was a choice I probably would have bought Premium.

Any are fine. Coated will look best long term. Can always spend some time and paint the others with bbq grill paint. Not the pad contact area!
I use Bosch products whenever I can when all other things are close to the same. Almost all of their stock dividends are given to charity. Sounds good to me.

Last edited:
I personally hate everything Wagner, and refuse to buy their parts. I think I had a really bad experience a long time ago and hate the brand, but I do not recall the specifics. I have had many Centric rotors on all sorts of cars, and never had a problem.

I agree about centric rotors being best for the money. I run them on all my cars. If you bed the pads material into them correctly and don't hold the brake for a long time after a hard stop you should have no issues with them "warping" or more accurately, having uneven run out.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
I agree about centric rotors being best for the money. I run them on all my cars. If you bed the pads material into them correctly and don't hold the brake for a long time after a hard stop you should have no issues with them "warping" or more accurately, having uneven run out.

Note that this varies wildly by vehicle, pad selection, and usage patterns.

Bedding for pad transfer is a race only process as the only place rotors get hot enough is at the track. Street driving will quickly remove the transferred material.

Totally agree that almost all complaints about "warp" come from driver error by clamping them down while very hot and just sitting there. But the pad again has a great deal to do with this happening or not, as does the braking capacity of the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: TinyVoices

Note that this varies wildly by vehicle, pad selection, and usage patterns.

Bedding for pad transfer is a race only process as the only place rotors get hot enough is at the track. Street driving will quickly remove the transferred material.

Totally agree that almost all complaints about "warp" come from driver error by clamping them down while very hot and just sitting there. But the pad again has a great deal to do with this happening or not, as does the braking capacity of the vehicle.

Totally agree. It's just frustrating that people always call it warping when it's really something else like untrue rotors due to uneven wear. If you go to the track (which I do almost every weekend in the summer months) people will laugh at you for using the term "warped" when describing pulsing rotors.

I have bought Raybestos coated rotors and they rusted as fast as any uncoated ones. I have no experience with the coated Wagners, but the Raybestos experience taught me not all coatings are the same. I have bought E-coated Centric rotors and they were great. Still on my car years later with good results and the coating has lasted well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back