Enclosed fixtures/LED Bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started replacing some very old CFL's in my house with LED's and what a difference. So I want to keep gong but want some info from any of you that have used LED's in recessed fixtures.

I have a couple enclosed fixtures in my kitchen, one mounted to the wall and one recessed in the ceiling, do I need special LED's for these?

Was planing on using the Great Value 60w equivalent.

Last edited:
Read the bulb's package. It will tell you if it is OK to use in an enclosure.

I have had good luck with using Walmart's Great Value brand 60W and 100W LED bulbs in indoor and outdoor enclosures.

I've looked into this a little back when the original Cree LED bulbs shows up at Home Depot, the ones with the big heatsinks and coated class bulb. They specifically said that they were ok to use in an enclosed fixtures. I have a few of those in an enclosed ceiling fixture that have been running for several years now.

I haven't looked recently, but almost all the bulbs I've seen say that they're not for use in an enclosed fixture.

I have yet to find leds that don’t hum or buzz in open fixtures. Sorry for getting off topic. My can lights are sealed leds. Going strong for three years.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
I have yet to find leds that don’t hum or buzz in open fixtures.

I have some Great Value bulbs that are buzzing. Looks to be 1 out of 3.

The sunbeams I got at dollar tree are okay with it.

They are likely rebranded every six months though, like many generic things.

I did lose a couple original crees from 4 or 5 years back, the ones with the rubbery coating and heat sinks. They weren't enclosed, either-- go figure!

What many are doing is to install LED conversion.

It's got a new cover with LEDs along with an adapter that screws into the light socket.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: knerml
Read the bulb's package. It will tell you if it is OK to use in an enclosure.

I have had good luck with using Walmart's Great Value brand 60W and 100W LED bulbs in indoor and outdoor enclosures.

Boy do I feel stupid, they say right on the box "rated for indoor/outdoor enclosed light fixtures". I feel even worse looking at the CFL's I pulled out, it says right on the bulb "not for use in totally enclosed recessed fixtures". Thing is they been in there for at least five years. I changed them back when the whole incandescent thing came out since one of these lights gets left on all evening in the winter and sometimes all night.

I also went around and listened to all four of the LED's and I can't hear any buzzing but did notice a couple of the old CFL's did, just not bad enough I ever noticed it.

Thanks all for your replies and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back